Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Are there any distros that are game engines?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
BrassGear Aug 14
I'll tell you exactly what I have in mind, let me know if there is something close to it:

A small distro which makes available enough hardware capabilities to act as a game engine. I am thinking of something similar to what the Ouya would run. One critical point is that it is not meant for emulation, but for developing new games, which might perhaps have some limitations.

I am actually thinking of something tailored to the Pi, but any examples would be welcome.
I can't think of anything that would fit what you're after. Interesting concept though.
BrassGear Aug 16
Would the place to start making it be Linux From Scratch?

I am a bit of a consumer, I don't know much about making distros. I only get giddy at the thought of the opportunity to write every piece of software for an OS.

What major components would one need to get some OpenGL and OpenAL going?
LoudTechie Aug 17
Quoting: BrassGearWould the place to start making it be Linux From Scratch?
Acceptable.
Any major distro has a contributing page where they explain how to make their distro.
You can learn a lot about making your own distro there.
QuoteWhat major components would one need to get some OpenGL and OpenAL going?
The official answer is the linux kernel and the relevant userspace drivers.
OpenGL and OpenAL are build into the drivers, but if you want to use them you're probably also going to need the (g)libc libraries and possibly the entire gnu core utils set(dependency hell).

You also probably want an interface for your editing.
You can use a terminal text editor like vim, nano or emacs to dodge the need for a full fledged graphical interface.
Git is an crucial tool for any developer.

If you're going to do this please keep us updated this sounds like an interesting project.
BrassGear Aug 17
So perhaps diving into how Raspbian is made would be good.

Thanks for the info. It is just a dream of mine, and I happened to find the best place to ask.

I suppose to get this project crowdfunded one would need to be almost done with it before anyone would want to support it, right?
Pengling Aug 17
Quoting: BrassGearI suppose to get this project crowdfunded one would need to be almost done with it before anyone would want to support it, right?
Definitely! You never know what you might run into with any sort of project (not just a gaming-related one), and there have been plenty of crowdfunding disasters that resulted from folks who went in without much (or anything) to show and without knowing the potential pitfalls.
LoudTechie Aug 17
Quoting: BrassGearSo perhaps diving into how Raspbian is made would be good.

Thanks for the info. It is just a dream of mine, and I happened to find the best place to ask.

I suppose to get this project crowdfunded one would need to be almost done with it before anyone would want to support it, right?

Good idea.
Another project I just thought could be productive looking up the contributing page from:
libre elec.
libre elec is "just enough os for kodi"
You don't want to run kodi, but have at least a just as narrow scope.
It could teach you about kernel pruning and unmissable dependencies.
Pengling Aug 17
Quoting: LoudTechieAnother project I just thought could be productive looking up the contributing page from:
libre elec.
libre elec is "just enough os for kodi"
RetroPie might be worth looking at too, since it's in much the same vein, and is already set up to be gaming-specific (though for emulation and source-ports, rather than running a game in a similar manner to a live distro).
BrassGear Aug 17
Quoting: LoudTechielibre elec
I had just thought of this one myself.

Quoting: PenglingRetroPie
I had forgotten about this one.

Another thought I had is making a distro that can run ScummVM. As far as I know, they have turned it into a game engine all its own. Part of the motivation to make this though is to make something exactly fit to its purpose. I suspect ScummVM might have quite a few nasty bits of code and conventions that no-one likes, that have to be there because of a number of tricks they used to do in the 80s and 90s.

Do you think I could get it crowdfunded a month at a time? Fund the first month, then people can judge if they want to fund the second, and so on.
LoudTechie Aug 17
Quoting: BrassGear
Quoting: LoudTechielibre elec
I had just thought of this one myself.

Quoting: PenglingRetroPie
I had forgotten about this one.

Another thought I had is making a distro that can run ScummVM. As far as I know, they have turned it into a game engine all its own. Part of the motivation to make this though is to make something exactly fit to its purpose. I suspect ScummVM might have quite a few nasty bits of code and conventions that no-one likes, that have to be there because of a number of tricks they used to do in the 80s and 90s.

Do you think I could get it crowdfunded a month at a time? Fund the first month, then people can judge if they want to fund the second, and so on.
The thing is people crowdfund the final product(, because they want to use it) and you have no reputation that you can deliver the product or product.
It's why most Kickstarter pages read as ciriculum vitales, with things as: "made by the developers of [random game]".

Edit: also after typing this I feel old and grumpy.

Last edited by LoudTechie on 17 August 2024 at 4:07 pm UTC
Pengling Aug 17
Quoting: BrassGearAnother thought I had is making a distro that can run ScummVM. As far as I know, they have turned it into a game engine all its own. Part of the motivation to make this though is to make something exactly fit to its purpose. I suspect ScummVM might have quite a few nasty bits of code and conventions that no-one likes, that have to be there because of a number of tricks they used to do in the 80s and 90s.
You might be able to tweak the likes of RetroPie/Batocera/etc. to carry this out - ScummVM is already a part of those!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.