Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Front page seems to be in a superposition of logged in and not logged in
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
CatKiller Aug 16
With the logged in cookie, you can do all your logged in things - like, comment, and so on. The front page, specifically, though, doesn't seem to know that you're logged in - the profile link is Login (which obviously returns "you're already logged in" when you click on it) and (the bit that's made me notice) you don't get notifications on the front page. You need to be on some other page that does know that you're logged in before you see the notifications.
Liam Dawe Aug 16
The code for any of it hasn't been touched in forever, so it's unlikely the bug is our end.

Most likely a plugin getting in the way, or a random browser bug.

If you do find something the definitely points to our issue, let me know, but I've never seen such a problem - ever.

I would suggest checking plugins, and purging all GOL related cookies to start fresh and see what happens.
CatKiller Aug 16
Yeah, could be a browser bug. I don't really know how Firefox mobile handles cached pages. Neither page refresh, nor closing the tab, nor closing the browser, nor restarting the device had the front page properly logged in, nor did disabling extensions.

Getting the failed login message and then clicking on the link to the front page does get a properly logged-in front page (pressing the back button doesn't) so that's something.
Liam Dawe Aug 16
Firefox mobile huh, that's definitely a unique one, mobile browsers are always on the funky side. Clear the cache and cookies for it and see what happens.
Liam Dawe Aug 16
I assume this is Android not iOS? As there is an issue with Firefox being fuckery on iOS with cookies.

https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-ios/issues/12279
https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-ios/issues/11994

Could also still be related to Android too.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 16 August 2024 at 11:19 am UTC
CatKiller Aug 16
Yeah, Android. It's probably just a problem with cached pages but - as always - I figured I'd highlight it just in case.
Liam Dawe Aug 16
Don't think there's really *anything* I can do about browser cache being a nuisance :(
CatKiller Aug 16
Yep, fair.
Liam Dawe Aug 16
But if you do ever find anything legit I can solve, bump up the post with any findings :)
Linas Aug 17
Just chipping in that I did notice the same behavior, Firefox on Android. I think I have seen it in Firefox on Linux as well, although I am a bit hazy on that one.
marvtowel Aug 18
Desktop Chrome does it too. Shows me as not logged in but I hit the login and it says that I'm already logged in. Recently cleared cache and it still does it.

Last edited by marvtowel on 18 August 2024 at 11:06 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.