You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 8/16/2024
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

H.E.R.O. (1984 Activision) - Atari 5200 – Platformer
IndyCar Series 2005 (2005 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

H.E.R.O.…...

I need a hero…...

The graphics….. Are great…… A slight improvement on the 2600…… Slight more detail while still retaining the same feel…… With excellent use of colour and enough detail to know whats going on…… Enemies and items are clearly defined and are visible without any problems…….

The sounds……. Sounds very similar for the 2600….. No great improvement here…… The sounds do the job and are perfectly ok….. But they are just that…… Fine…….

The controls……… This is a area of vast improvement……. The Atari 5200 had more buttons and now the plant dynamite has its own dedicated button…… The rest of the controls are still the same…… But why fix what wasnt broken???…… The controls are still great and very responsive and do exactly what you ask them to do…….

The storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up again……. Doritos Pope stands with his hands behind his back…… Looking out the large windows overlooking the city from his Mayoral Office…… The Newtons Cradle clinks loudly on his desk……..

Nacho Nun enters the room….. “Its done mighty pontiff……… Penglings BombFlakes factory has been shut down……. She will never be able to open another food business in this city again…….” The Nacho Nun reports with glee…….

“Excellent work Nacho Nun”……. Replies the Doritos Pope…… “But just in case she tries to move into a non food venture where your Health Inspector powers carry less weight…… I have made some “deals” with all the unions in the city……. Pengling wont be able to hire any workers for any future business ventures she might think up……. And on top of that she wont be able to get anything built……. Not since the unions control the entirety of the building sector”…….. The Doritos Pope says with authority in his voice…….

“She might be able to get some non union workers…… Should we also make scabs illegal too???”……. Nacho Nun questions……… “In due time”…… The Pope replies…….. “I want to see what she comes up with next before we crush her like an ant……... If nothing else it will keep us entertained for a bit longer watching her try in vein to defeat THE ALL KNOWING AND POWERFUL PONTIFF….. THE DORITOS POPE!!!”……….

Nacho Nun gets all giddy….. “Oh I love it when you talk like that oh Mighty Pontiff”…… Nacho Nun says as she feels the temperature in her boiler rise……. “Not now Nacho Nun”….. Exclaims the Doritos Pope……. “I have a headache…….. And plus I have a very important meeting to attend too very soon”………. “Get the Banana Bi…… I mean April O’Neil ready to move real soon……. I want her ready to report on this meeting the moment its ended……”

“Right away oh mighty one”……. Nacho Nun says before rushing out the door to execute the orders she was given…….. Doritos Pope turns back to look out the window again…… “Soon Pengling……. Soon you will regret the day you messed with me……. I promise you……” Doritos Pope says menacingly to himself…….

Back at home an agitated Pengling paces back and fourth in the lounge room like an expected father…….. Seemingly waiting for someone…… As she paces around…… Her blue robot sleeps on the brown sofa…….. Suddenly the doorbell rings…… “Bloody hell…… Took him long enough to get here”…… Pengling says to herself as she goes to door…….. Pengling opens the door…… “What took you so long???”….. Pengling says very agitated to the strange figure in the doorway…… “Never mind……. I need your help…….. We need to end the Doritos Pope once and for all……. And with my robot army combined with your ultimate sports team army Doritos breath doesnt stand a chance…… Are you in???”……

Can you believe this true believers???…… What meeting is the Doritos Pope having that would require the Banana Bin….. I mean April O’Neil to report on???…….. Who is the strange figure Pengling is talking too???…….. Will the strange figure agree and join forces with Pengling???…… Tune in next time true believers to find out…….

The gameplay…… A platformer with a twist……. There is no jumping……. But you have a personal helicopter backpack…… Which is use to fly around and even hover……. But watch out…… There is only limited power for the helicopter….. So dont waste it as you try and rescue people trapped in the mine shafts……… Columns are blown up with the dynamite….. bats, snakes, spiders and other enemies can be killed by the helmet laser……. The gameplay is well thought out and quite different from most other games on the 5200……. Its the exact same gameplay wise to the 2600 version and even has the same levels…...

Overall…… This is a much improved version over the 2600 version….. Much better graphics…… Better controls……. While retaining the same levels and feel of the original 2600 version……. Its still a really great game…… If you ever want to play a 5200 game….. This is one to try out for sure…...

And that is why my final score for H.E.R.O. is a Personal Helicopter out of 10………

H.E.R.O.…...

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

IndyCar Series 2005 (2005 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
My wife told me..... "Dont get upset if someone calls you fat"...... Your bigger than that.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
missingno Aug 16
Kitsune Tails - Cute little platformer, but maybe a little too on the nose in just how much it copies from SMB3. I think they didn't need to put Kuribo's Shoe in there.
Spoiler, click me
Then I got to act 2 and I'm just replaying the same levels with a character who has a bunch of strong movement abilities. New levels designed for this character would've been great, but why am I replaying the same ones but now way easier?

Dungeons and Degenerate Gamblers - Liked the demo a lot, but my opinions keep going back and forth on the full version. At first it felt like there just isn't enough player agency to consistently get out of the early game or deal with everything the endgame throws at you, but then I started to work out the winning strat by just repeatedly forcing the opponent to bust. Doing that all the time is a little linear though, and the gap between broken cards and worthless cards is a lot.

Under Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - Did alright in this week's bracket. Hyde still terrifies me.

Splatoon 3 - lol, lmao

Mahjong Soul/Riichi City/IRL mahjong - Came up with a new strategy at club this week where I just draw good tiles over and over.

Last edited by missingno on 17 August 2024 at 3:04 am UTC
Pengling Aug 17
I don't have a ton of gaming-time this weekend, so this time around I'll be taking a trip to my personal arcade to revisit some favourites that don't take up a lot of time. They are;

Bomberman (Arcade)
Hailing from 1991 is the first Bomberman arcade game, which Hudson Soft licensed Irem to create. It got a sequel in 1992.

Blue's Journey (Neo Geo)
This 1990 title is one of the few platformers on the Neo Geo platform. It was released for both arcades and the home.

Asteroids (Arcade)
Released in late 1979, Asteroids sees you destroying, well, asteroids. You also have to watch out for hostile UFOs!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomberman World (PSX)

Chip's Challenge (Lynx)

Doom II (Proton)

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)

Super Bomberman R (Proton)

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (GB)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up again……. Doritos Pope stands with his hands behind his back…… Looking out the large windows overlooking the city from his Mayoral Office…… The Newtons Cradle clinks loudly on his desk……..

Nacho Nun enters the room….. “Its done mighty pontiff……… Penglings BombFlakes factory has been shut down……. She will never be able to open another food business in this city again…….” The Nacho Nun reports with glee…….

“Excellent work Nacho Nun”……. Replies the Doritos Pope…… “But just in case she tries to move into a non food venture where your Health Inspector powers carry less weight…… I have made some “deals” with all the unions in the city……. Pengling wont be able to hire any workers for any future business ventures she might think up……. And on top of that she wont be able to get anything built……. Not since the unions control the entirety of the building sector”…….. The Doritos Pope says with authority in his voice…….

“She might be able to get some non union workers…… Should we also make scabs illegal too???”……. Nacho Nun questions……… “In due time”…… The Pope replies…….. “I want to see what she comes up with next before we crush her like an ant……... If nothing else it will keep us entertained for a bit longer watching her try in vein to defeat THE ALL KNOWING AND POWERFUL PONTIFF….. THE DORITOS POPE!!!”……….

Nacho Nun gets all giddy….. “Oh I love it when you talk like that oh Mighty Pontiff”…… Nacho Nun says as she feels the temperature in her boiler rise……. “Not now Nacho Nun”….. Exclaims the Doritos Pope……. “I have a headache…….. And plus I have a very important meeting to attend too very soon”………. “Get the Banana Bi…… I mean April O’Neil ready to move real soon……. I want her ready to report on this meeting the moment its ended……”

“Right away oh mighty one”……. Nacho Nun says before rushing out the door to execute the orders she was given…….. Doritos Pope turns back to look out the window again…… “Soon Pengling……. Soon you will regret the day you messed with me……. I promise you……” Doritos Pope says menacingly to himself…….

Back at home an agitated Pengling paces back and fourth in the lounge room like an expected father…….. Seemingly waiting for someone…… As she paces around…… Her blue robot sleeps on the brown sofa…….. Suddenly the doorbell rings…… “Bloody hell…… Took him long enough to get here”…… Pengling says to herself as she goes to door…….. Pengling opens the door…… “What took you so long???”….. Pengling says very agitated to the strange figure in the doorway…… “Never mind……. I need your help…….. We need to end the Doritos Pope once and for all……. And with my robot army combined with your ultimate sports team army Doritos breath doesnt stand a chance…… Are you in???”……

Can you believe this true believers???…… What meeting is the Doritos Pope having that would require the Banana Bin….. I mean April O’Neil to report on???…….. Who is the strange figure Pengling is talking too???…….. Will the strange figure agree and join forces with Pengling???…… Tune in next time true believers to find out…….
Hahahahaha! I wonder what's going to happen next!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOverall…… This is a much improved version over the 2600 version….. Much better graphics…… Better controls……. While retaining the same levels and feel of the original 2600 version……. Its still a really great game…… If you ever want to play a 5200 game….. This is one to try out for sure…...
Until now, I didn't even know that there was an Atari 5200 version of H.E.R.O.! I knew of the Commodore 64 and SG-1000 versions, but not this one.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd that is why my final score for H.E.R.O. is a Personal Helicopter out of 10………
That video-clip is amazing.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
It's interesting how well upscaling graphics from that console-generation tends to work - this game still looks quite good now, especially for a sports title, since they tend to lean quite strongly on realism, which almost never ages well.

Quoting: missingnoLiked the demo a lot, but my opinions keep going back and forth on the full version.
Oh man, it's annoying when that happens. I can remember encountering a couple of games way, way back during the PlayStation era where the demo seemed to be more solid (or otherwise simply better-presented) than the final retail game...
Klaas Aug 17
I haven't played anything so far.

I've done kitchen maintenance.
I've programmed a python script to automatically (with a few manual hints) sort GOG offline installer downloads into subfolders. And sorted the files on my laptop, Steam Deck and desktop system.
Then I've discovered that some video encoding that took 3 day I did 2 months ago went wrong: One video is missing and the others have the wrong name.
And system updates on desktop and computer attached to TV.

I've installed Dredge (GOG version) on my Steam Deck yesterday. At least that works.

Last edited by Klaas on 17 August 2024 at 7:06 pm UTC
Xpander Aug 18
Once Human
Still playing that stupid AI generated game. Can switch brain off and just play.
GE-proton 7-55

Deadlock
Valves new Moba. Dota+Overwatch game. Just got invite from someone. Not a game for me and can't share much about it though i didn't accept the "don't share things message". pressed escape and it went away :D
Not a game for me but gunplay and movement is super solid.
proton-experimental

Warhammer Online
Not playing it much recently, but still logging in to do some PvP fights from time to time.
wine-ge 8-26
Klaas Aug 18
Lonely Mountains: Downhill (Demo): The snow themed sequel is part of the Wholesome Games sale on Steam. Since it looks like Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands (sorry), I thought I give the demo a quick spin. Basically you drive down a mountain on a bike. Where GMA has free camera, free time reversal and is cozy, LMD has checkpoints, a fixed camera angle and lots of blood and deaths. You have the choice between tank controls or turning relative to the camera angle.

The demo only has one track on one mountain. I'm not sure how many times I've died on the first checkpoints, but I managed to get to two checkpoints without dying.

It's really different to GMA and if the currently unreleased sequel is similar, it is not cozy unlike the sale description wants you to think. I might buy it nonetheless – Demos help sales even if the marketing people say otherwise.

Quote(Join Wholesome Games for a cozy celebration as we showcase video games that inspire optimism, joy, and introspection August 15-21)

Btw. The Spirit and the Mouse is part of the sale. High recommendation if you like 3d platformers without dying.
Quoting: PenglingI don't have a ton of gaming-time this weekend, so this time around I'll be taking a trip to my personal arcade to revisit some favourites that don't take up a lot of time. They are;
But the question is..... Does your personal arcade have really badly designed blacklight carpet and are all the buttons sticky???...... If not its not a truly authentic arcade experience......

Quoting: Pengling
Bomberman (Arcade)
Hailing from 1991 is the first Bomberman arcade game, which Hudson Soft licensed Irem to create. It got a sequel in 1992.
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING........

Blue's Journey (Neo Geo)
This 1990 title is one of the few platformers on the Neo Geo platform. It was released for both arcades and the home.
I have played that and its really good..... Though I hated the Tetris block platform level....... The rest of the game was good fun......

Asteroids (Arcade)
Released in late 1979, Asteroids sees you destroying, well, asteroids. You also have to watch out for hostile UFOs!
Are you practicing for Armageddon???......

Bomberman World (PSX)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x2.......

Chip's Challenge (Lynx)
I prefer this chip challenge......

Doom II (Proton)
You must be close to finishing Doom II by now....... Will be interesting to hear what you have to say about it......

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3........

Super Bomberman R (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4.......

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (GB)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x5........ (new record).......

Quoting: PenglingHahahahaha! I wonder what's going to happen next!
Well you will have to wait till next week to find out.......

Quoting: PenglingUntil now, I didn't even know that there was an Atari 5200 version of H.E.R.O.! I knew of the Commodore 64 and SG-1000 versions, but not this one.
Im not surprised...... The 5200 version seems to be the forgotten version...... Much like the 5200 seems to be a forgotten console.......

Quoting: PenglingThat video-clip is amazing.
Lol thanks..... Its quite hard finding the appropriate helicopter clips on YT......

Quoting: PenglingIt's interesting how well upscaling graphics from that console-generation tends to work - this game still looks quite good now, especially for a sports title, since they tend to lean quite strongly on realism, which almost never ages well.
The 6th gen really does hold up so well today in nearly all aspects....... And it upscales so, so nicely too...... The 5th gen doesnt quite upscale as nice...... 5th gen tends to look more like GI Joe action figures against child drawing backgrounds when upscaled....... Theres just to much of a contrast between the detail of the character models and the background to upscale as well as the 6th gen which struck a much better balance between the two........

Quoting: KlaasI've done kitchen maintenance.
Oh thats always fun......

Quoting: XpanderOnce Human
I thought my ex was human once........

Quoting: XpanderStill playing that stupid AI generated game. Can switch brain off and just play.
Lol sounds like fun to play........ You should have played more WRC Generations instead.....
Pengling Aug 20
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBut the question is..... Does your personal arcade have really badly designed blacklight carpet and are all the buttons sticky???...... If not its not a truly authentic arcade experience......
Nah, it's just on my Steam Deck...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x2.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x5........ (new record).......
MEGA-!!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI have played that and its really good..... Though I hated the Tetris block platform level....... The rest of the game was good fun......
Yeah, that Tetris-block platforming section in the last stage is pretty evil, hahaha! Creative, though.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI prefer this chip challenge......
That was hilarious.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYou must be close to finishing Doom II by now....... Will be interesting to hear what you have to say about it......
I have finished it now, and all that I can say is that I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first one - it's full of unintuitive and occasionally-contradictory elements, and there was only one stage whose design I liked, but I couldn't even remember its name by the next day. I'm really glad that this one's over...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWell you will have to wait till next week to find out.......
Man, it's like when TV-shows used to be on weekly instead of daily!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIm not surprised...... The 5200 version seems to be the forgotten version...... Much like the 5200 seems to be a forgotten console.......
It made so many missteps that that's not surprising, I guess...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe 6th gen really does hold up so well today in nearly all aspects....... And it upscales so, so nicely too...... The 5th gen doesnt quite upscale as nice...... 5th gen tends to look more like GI Joe action figures against child drawing backgrounds when upscaled....... Theres just to much of a contrast between the detail of the character models and the background to upscale as well as the 6th gen which struck a much better balance between the two........
Though I like upscaling 5th-gen stuff (in different ways that look right to me, depending on the console - and I think that the N64 always comes off best because it was designed to take aim at PCs in the first place), yeah, I think that's fair.

Quoting: KlaasI haven't played anything so far.

I've done kitchen maintenance.
I've programmed a python script to automatically (with a few manual hints) sort GOG offline installer downloads into subfolders. And sorted the files on my laptop, Steam Deck and desktop system.
Then I've discovered that some video encoding that took 3 day I did 2 months ago went wrong: One video is missing and the others have the wrong name.
That sounds like a whole boatload of fun.

Still playing that stupid AI generated game. Can switch brain off and just play.
GE-proton 7-55
Is it really AI-generated? I thought that Steam didn't allow those?

Quoting: KlaasBtw. The Spirit and the Mouse is part of the sale. High recommendation if you like 3d platformers without dying.
I'm not entirely sure that it's for me, but it does look like a nice game!

Last edited by Pengling on 20 August 2024 at 3:15 pm UTC
Klaas Aug 20
Quoting: PenglingThat was hilarious.
It wasn't that much fun when it turned into a social media trend and young children started doing it at school in Germany. Several had trouble breathing and had to be rushed to hospital. In the end some of the hottest products were banned in several German states. In November a 14 year old died in the USA.
Pengling Aug 20
Quoting: KlaasIt wasn't that much fun when it turned into a social media trend and young children started doing it at school in Germany. Several had trouble breathing and had to be rushed to hospital. In the end some of the hottest products were banned in several German states. In November a 14 year old died in the USA.
Unlike the funny TV-show clip, that is awful...
Xpander Aug 21
GE-proton 7-55
Is it really AI-generated? I thought that Steam didn't allow those?

I doubt it actually is but it sure feels like..Its all just super mediocre. dialog and voiceacting is pretty bad also. but somehow the game manages to hook me.. i guess because its somewhat a MMORPG and i used to be a huge MMORPG player back in the days.. WoW and Warhammer Online mostly back when i switched to linux in 2007 and a bit before that also
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.