Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Weekend Players' Club 8/23/2024
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

IndyCar Series 2005 (2005 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: Where do dads store all their dad jokes???…….
A: The dad-a-base……...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Aug 23

My pick this weekend is Kill It With Fire (Proton), a humourous first-person extermination game where you're tasked with killing spiders* using increasingly-outlandish means - including fire, as per the title.

*No, not that one. It'd be rude to eliminate our host!

Now let's break a record.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomberman (Arcade)

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)

Bomberman World (Arcade)

Bomb Jack (Arcade)

Cookie Clicker (Proton)

Donkey Kong Country: Boss Blitz (SNES) (Hack)

Flicky (Arcade)

Glover (N64)

Looking for Aliens (Proton)

Neo Bomberman (Neo Geo)

PathBlasters (Native Linux)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)

Super Bomberman R (Proton)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (GB)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)
It looks like there's something terrifying just off-camera, here!

Er, is your guy alright? He looks like he's set himself on fire...

Haha, I see what you did there!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: Where do dads store all their dad jokes???…….
A: The dad-a-base……...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
HAHAHA!

Last edited by Pengling on 23 August 2024 at 9:39 pm UTC
missingno Aug 23
Under Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - Made top 8 at locals. Then played a long casual set with the guy who eliminated me from bracket, came out of it feeling like I understand the Carmine matchup better now. Bonus casual netplay clip.

Mahjong Soul/Riichi City/IRL mahjong - Ever since Balatro blew up, people have been joking about when we're gonna see the mahjong roguelike next. Then four different ones went into development. Then Mahjong Soul surprised dropped a fifth one as a limited time event, and it might be the most promising of all of them. Then I broke the hell out of it.

Splatoon 3 - Team practice. Don't have any cool clips to share rn, maybe next week.

Last edited by missingno on 23 August 2024 at 11:09 pm UTC
Klaas Aug 24
I've been playing Dredge. I like that the general creepiness of the atmosphere does not really factor into the game mechanics which are quite laid back outside of the run like hell moments. I've read that the hooded figure pursuits used to have a unannounced time-limit but that has been removed about a year ago.
The time only advances when you do something mechanic (although there are things that ignore it) feels like a good fit for the Steam Deck.

And Lonely Mountains: Downhill. They wouldn't have made the sale without a demo. The first mountain is definitely easier that the trail of the fourth (?) mountain in the demo. There are free DLCs that add an extra trail for each mountain and a paid DLC with an additional mountain.

I've been to the zoo two times this week. One time in the morning before it got really hot with a lot of time and one time at the late afternoon/evening for a wild bat watching/listening via a bat detector guided tour. It was the last week of the summer holidays, so it was rather crowded on the first visit. A few more visitors than expected as it was getting later on the second visit, but very tranquil nonetheless. A pair of white-faced whistling ducks defending their fledgling against more than ten very curious ring-tailed lemurs is an impressive sight. I still haven't seen all of the red river hog piglets since they were asleep all 4 times I went to their enclosure.
Pengling Aug 24
Quoting: missingnoEver since Balatro blew up, people have been joking about when we're gonna see the mahjong roguelike next.
I must admit, that's a genre that I would never have expected to see applied to a mahjong game!

Quoting: KlaasI've been playing Dredge. I like that the general creepiness of the atmosphere does not really factor into the game mechanics which are quite laid back outside of the run like hell moments. I've read that the hooded figure pursuits used to have a unannounced time-limit but that has been removed about a year ago.
The time only advances when you do something mechanic (although there are things that ignore it) feels like a good fit for the Steam Deck.
It's funny that you mention Dredge - a line of official merchandise was announced for it this week.
Klaas Aug 24
Quoting: PenglingIt's funny that you mention Dredge
It can't be that surprising since I wrote that I installed it last week…

––

Btw. today seems to be National Waffle Day, anyone else made waffles?
denyasis Aug 24
Been enjoying another session of Rimworld. I generally don't buy new games (or any at all - my library is already very big), but The DLC for Rimworld and Factorio are instant buys for me! The game feels a lot harder, although most of my colonies fail, lol. Maybe I'm just bad at the game!

I'll probably dip back into Mass Effect tonight too. While it definitely shows it's age and the controller support is... So so, it's really fun and I love the Lore heavy games. Prolly spend half the time reading the Codex, lol! (I'm also trying to figure out if I really do like Epic Rpg's or not, lol)
Pengling Aug 24
Quoting: KlaasIt can't be that surprising since I wrote that I installed it last week…
Indeed, but I thought that the timing of the merch was uncanny and amusing.

Quoting: KlaasBtw. today seems to be National Waffle Day, anyone else made waffles?
Do Birds Eye Potato Waffles count?

Quoting: denyasis(I'm also trying to figure out if I really do like Epic Rpg's or not, lol)
I still prefer shorter games that I can revisit a lot, personally.
Klaas Aug 24
Does anyone want me to write about too long games, again?

Quoting: PenglingDo Birds Eye Potato Waffles count?
Probably not, unless you made them from scratch.

Btw. easiest chocolate mousse recipe (and incidentally vegan, unlike the waffles):
Put some silk tofu in a sieve in the fridge and wait until a reasonable amount of water is gone. This takes about 30 minutes and it looses about 25 % of the weight. Melt the same amount of dark chocolate (or mixture of chocolate and nougat) by weight after the sieve treatment. Whisk the tofu while slowly adding in the melted chocolate. Done.
Pengling Aug 24
Quoting: KlaasDoes anyone want me to write about too long games, again?
Fine with me! It's always good to see the weekend thread more active!

Quoting: KlaasProbably not, unless you made them from scratch.
Then no, I did not make waffles today.

Quoting: KlaasBtw. easiest chocolate mousse recipe (and incidentally vegan, unlike the waffles):
Put some silk tofu in a sieve in the fridge and wait until a reasonable amount of water is gone. This takes about 30 minutes and it looses about 25 % of the weight. Melt the same amount of dark chocolate (or mixture of chocolate and nougat) by weight after the sieve treatment. Whisk the tofu while slowly adding in the melted chocolate. Done.
Ooh, many thanks for that!
Klaas Aug 25
Quoting: PenglingOoh, many thanks for that!
You're welcome. In exact numbers, I've used
400 g    Tofu (about 310 g left with less water)
200 g    Chocolate (60 % cocoa, the baking aisle)
125 g    Nougat (38 % hazelnut, baking aisle)

yesterday. The result might not look like a huge amount, but it is very filling – less fat than the normal version, but more protein.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.