Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Weekend Players' Club 8/30/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

IndyCar Series 2005 (2005 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

IndyCar Series 2005 (2005 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
My wife said she is going to leave me because of my obsession with poker........ I think shes bluffing........
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Aug 31

My pick this weekend is something that I've been wanting to get around to for many years - Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy, of course ), and man was it worth the wait!

Virtual Boy Wario Land is a direct follow-up to the original Wario Land on the Game Boy, and plays more similarly to that game than any of the later sequels do (with the addition of moving between foreground and background planes, to showcase the 3D effects of the Virtual Boy), which is exactly what I wanted. It sees Wario following a group of strange creatures into a treasure-filled cave, only for the floor to collapse, sending him falling far deeper underground. Undeterred, he sets out to gather as much money and treasure as he can, and so the game begins.

I'm already about halfway through the game at the time of writing. It's absolutely packed with personality and everything about it is spot-on - controls, graphics, music, everything. It's a superb mid-1990s platformer that's well worth experiencing. It's a real pity that it's still never seen an official re-release to this day.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomberman '93 - Special Version (PC Engine)

Bomberman GB 3 (GB)

Bomberman Party Edition (PSX)

Chip's Challenge (Lynx)

Cookie Clicker (Proton)

Mega Man 7 (SNES)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Star Fox (SNES)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)
Whoah, why is there such a huge difference in how the face-models look, here? It looks like the game accidentally loaded in the ones that're only meant to be seen from a greater distance!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
My wife said she is going to leave me because of my obsession with poker........ I think shes bluffing........
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Hahaha!

Last edited by Pengling on 31 August 2024 at 2:43 pm UTC
missingno Aug 31
Under Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - I WON A FIVE MAN BRACKET WOOOOO! Also played some Skullgirls casuals for a little while after the bracket ended.

Mahjong Soul/Riichi City - :(

Splatoon 3 - Heavy Edit got shot. The rest of the changes seem fine, but as always I'm just annoyed that they don't do more.

Last edited by missingno on 31 August 2024 at 12:54 pm UTC
Quoting: Pengling
My pick this weekend is something that I've been wanting to get around to for many years - Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy, of course ), and man was it worth the wait!

Virtual Boy Wario Land is a direct follow-up to the original Wario Land on the Game Boy, and plays more similarly to that game than any of the later sequels do (with the addition of moving between foreground and background planes, to showcase the 3D effects of the Virtual Boy), which is exactly what I wanted. It sees Wario following a group of strange creatures into a treasure-filled cave, only for the floor to collapse, sending him falling far deeper underground. Undeterred, he sets out to gather as much money and treasure as he can, and so the game begins.

I'm already about halfway through the game at the time of writing. It's absolutely packed with personality and everything about it is spot-on - controls, graphics, music, everything. It's a superb mid-1990s platformer that's well worth experiencing. It's a real pity that it's still never seen an official re-release to this day.
So how does the game play without the actual 3D???.........

Bomberman '93 - Special Version (PC Engine)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.........

Bomberman GB 3 (GB)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x2.......

Bomberman Party Edition (PSX)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3......

Chip's Challenge (Lynx)
Hope this chip challenge doesnt kill people........

Cookie Clicker (Proton)
C is for cookie.......

Mega Man 7 (SNES)
I do need to play the Mega Man series...... Might me something I do soonish.......

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4..........

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)
Watch out for the Cookie Monster.......

Star Fox (SNES)
Do an Alienware roll!!!.......

Quoting: PenglingWhoah, why is there such a huge difference in how the face-models look, here? It looks like the game accidentally loaded in the ones that're only meant to be seen from a greater distance!
Im guessing the closer faces had priority for loading...... Looks creepy...... They look like store mannequins....

Quoting: PenglingHahaha!
The stupider the joke the more you seem to like it........
Long weekend here in the US with our false Labor Day. I got a copy of Super Bomberman R 2 on the Switch at the store today on clearance for $17.99 USD. I technically shouldn't have bought it, but WTFever. I was giving myself something positive for a change, after all the shit I've dealt with so far this year.
Quoting: Linux_RocksI got a copy of Super Bomberman R 2 on the Switch at the store today on clearance for $17.99 USD.
And here comes Pengling to write a 199 page essay on why Super Bomberman R 2 is the best game ever and why you should have bought it sooner....... in 3......... 2.......... 1...........
Pengling Sep 3
Quoting: missingnoUnder Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - I WON A FIVE MAN BRACKET WOOOOO!
Congratulations!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSo how does the game play without the actual 3D???.........
Pretty well, honestly!

There were three spots where the game is clearly designed around you actually seeing in 3D - one of the mini-games that can be played after each stage, a stage that features two instances of throwing an object onto an element in the background in order to clear the path ahead, and a boss where you need to jump between foreground and background at certain times in order to land a hit, and in an emulator these movements will land slightly to one side of where they originated from. That said, it's not really a big deal - Wario can still be moved when jumping between layers, and the "puzzle" to clear the way is so easily reset that it's not a problem if you miss the throw.

If I had to guess, aside from them almost never acknowledging the Virtual Boy, this might well be a factor in Nintendo never re-releasing the game - "It's slightly wonky but you can work around it." traditionally isn't their style, after all.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!! x2.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!! x3......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!! x4..........
Does it ever get old saying "GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.........", Spider?

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHope this chip challenge doesnt kill people........
Chip had better be careful, then!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderC is for cookie.......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWatch out for the Cookie Monster.......
Haha!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI do need to play the Mega Man series...... Might me something I do soonish.......
You do! They're not all perfect by any means and there are some that aren't worth the hassle* (when there are so many games in any series, there are bound to be a few duds, after all), but there are a lot of good games in there.

*Like the MS-DOS ones, which are interesting curiousities but not very fun. Their biggest claim to fame is that the original 2D Duke Nukem stole some graphics from them.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderDo an Alienware roll!!!.......
Well, you got a bit closer to aileron roll this time.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIm guessing the closer faces had priority for loading...... Looks creepy...... They look like store mannequins....
They do! They wouldn't look out of place in some goofy modern horror-game.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe stupider the joke the more you seem to like it........
I love absurd humour.

Quoting: Linux_RocksLong weekend here in the US with our false Labor Day. I got a copy of Super Bomberman R 2 on the Switch at the store today on clearance for $17.99 USD. I technically shouldn't have bought it, but WTFever. I was giving myself something positive for a change, after all the shit I've dealt with so far this year.
I hope you enjoy it! It ended up being one of my favourite games in the series - the single-player story-mode drawing from some often-overlooked titles was a refreshing change of pace, for me.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd here comes Pengling to write a 199 page essay on why Super Bomberman R 2 is the best game ever and why you should have bought it sooner....... in 3......... 2.......... 1...........
No.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.