Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Helena the Third
Page: «6/7»
  Go to:
Hamish Aug 23, 2011
Noticed that the demo was not too large, largely thanks to the compression on the tarball, so I grabbed it so that I could try it out for you guys. First off, it worked absolutely beautifully on my Fedora 13 system, which was quite satisfying after messing around with winetricks trying to get a recalcitrant Direct3D game to run right. Really grounded why native games are better for me. ;)

I went into it not expecting much, but I must admit towards the end I was actually getting into it, which was especially surprising since I do not tend to enjoy 3D platforming puzzles. The switching of the view modes was interesting, though I did find that I still enjoyed the combat the most while on foot and in first person (old habits die hard I guess). Still, the game really does feel like it belongs on the Nintendo 64 or something. But that of course was the feel you were going for, right? :D

Though I feel there should have been at least a text screen at the beginning to explain the plot (at least, as much plot as it has). In the end I only began to have the slightest clue of the setting from the ending text crawl, which while not badly written did seem to be poorly formatted, making it a little hard to read. Just something to keep in mind for the retail version.

And you can add this to the README file if you want:

QuoteFedora users can use the following command from a root terminal:
yum install libopenal1-soft

Should resolve any dependency issues anyone may have. :cool:
Liam Dawe Aug 23, 2011
As if anyone reads the README...
Rustybolts Aug 24, 2011
Quoting: "Hamish, post: 2216"Noticed that the demo was not too large, largely thanks to the compression on the tarball, so I grabbed it so that I could try it out for you guys. First off, it worked absolutely beautifully on my Fedora 13 system, which was quite satisfying after messing around with winetricks trying to get a recalcitrant Direct3D game to run right. Really grounded why native games are better for me. ;)

I went into it not expecting much, but I must admit towards the end I was actually getting into it, which was especially surprising since I do not tend to enjoy 3D platforming puzzles. The switching of the view modes was interesting, though I did find that I still enjoyed the combat the most while on foot and in first person (old habits die hard I guess). Still, the game really does feel like it belongs on the Nintendo 64 or something. But that of course was the feel you were going for, right? :D

Though I feel there should have been at least a text screen at the beginning to explain the plot (at least, as much plot as it has). In the end I only began to have the slightest clue of the setting from the ending text crawl, which while not badly written did seem to be poorly formatted, making it a little hard to read. Just something to keep in mind for the retail version.

And you can add this to the README file if you want:

Should resolve any dependency issues anyone may have. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it Hamish! A few people have mentioned that it feels like a Nintendo type game which for me is a really great compliment. Shame you never tried the old demo as on that you get to collect the hover upgrade which is really fun. :)
Brandon Smith Sep 7, 2011
Helena The 3rd is now complete, go get the new version and play it Liam :)
Liam Dawe Sep 8, 2011
Sweet let me know when it's up on USC, Desura and Gameolith ;)
Hamish Sep 9, 2011
To be fair, it is not like he is getting paid for any of this...
Liam Dawe Sep 9, 2011
Quoting: "Brandon Smith, post: 2299"You find out yourself. Isn't that your job?

Well that was a bit harsh...
Brandon Smith Sep 10, 2011
What, mean people rule.
Rustybolts Sep 10, 2011
You will be the first to know Liam! As soon as we find out more :)
Rustybolts Oct 5, 2011
[ATTACH=full]245[/ATTACH]
not so subtle hint :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.