Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Helena the Third
Page: «3/7»
  Go to:
Rustybolts Mar 31, 2011
Right just played a little bit into the demo (not that far)! I like it may have to purchase the full game! Controls are nice and smooth. Although the 3rd person camera views are a little awkward via keys (idea! Would it be possible to implement mouse to control the view and firing?) Oh and also when in this view if your moving diagonally and firing your cannon don't shoot diagonally.
Brandon Smith Mar 31, 2011
Ah, everyone is asking for it, I guess I better do it.
For now, I noticed on some linux distros, if you hold alt+arrow key it changes which workspace you're in. And I think you need to do that to strafe in Helena. It's a little awkward, but I also made Q and E strafing keys as well to help with that.

Anyway, yea.. heh I'll see if I can get around to adding mouse support. I was trying to make the FPS kind of like DOOM originally, that's why I left it out in the beginning.
Rustybolts Mar 31, 2011
Have you thought about trying to sell it in the Ubuntu Software Center I think it would make an ideal game for it there priced at your $2-5.

Also noticed when moving diagonally it doesn't jump or doesnt seem to want to. Jumps are much more responsive when moving forwards backwards left n right.
Brandon Smith Mar 31, 2011
I think when you are pressing up and left at the same time you can't jump for some reason. The other diagonals should work.
I can't figure it out, there's nothing in the code that should be preventing that. I don't know if it's a limitation of wxWidgets or what...

Oh, I didn't even know you could sell games in the Software Center. I suppose I could polish it a little more and submit it for review...
Rustybolts Mar 31, 2011
After speaking to Tweakedenigma on X-Chat regarding the Ubuntu Software Center he had this to say:-
Quote<tweaked> There is no official channel yet
<tweaked> Emailing Jono might work
<tweaked> [email protected]
<tweaked> Phone Mobile: +1 415-658-1738

Hope it helps! Apparently there is no channel open to submit games yet but a number of games are currently available to buy. Maybe they followed this route!
Liam Dawe Mar 31, 2011
Welcome to the forums Brandon be sure to stick around!

The Linux community are very forgiving, so don't let a few hiccups put you off :)

Be sure to send us over any "press" releases regarding your developments so we can do articles and reviews :)
Venn Apr 2, 2011
http://linuxgamecast.com/2011/04/l-g-c-b-reel-%E2%80%94-helena-the-third-v1-02/

A go, given it.

From the author...
I didn't realize this was like a show you did. Anyway, I'm honored!
Brandon Smith Apr 2, 2011
Glad you liked that :)
Brandon Smith Apr 4, 2011
I was just trying to think of some ideas for the game. What would you guys of multiplayer arena levels? Like deathmatch levels with powerups and such?
Liam Dawe May 4, 2011
Well upon trying the demo i get a seg fault with an error message saying

"failed to load resource image"
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.