Random stutter and nVidia settings not saving
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
HadBabits Jun 11, 2015
So for a while I've noticed that my computer will stutter at a constant interval. Not always at boot, but if it's been running for a bit. It's not particular to any application or game; once it starts I'll notice it in all games and video playback. I've tried playing with my nVidia settings, flipping between 60-144hz and trying g-sync, none of it seems to eliminate it. Also, when the stutter is occuring and G-sync is on the stuttered frame is replaced with a frame of black screen instead.

I don't know if this is related, but I've also noticed that the nVidia settings applications doesn't save my settings between boots, despite saving them to the xorg file (which can be found here: http://pastebin.com/XmdV5Gks). Every time I restart my computer it's running 60hz (Both resolution and refresh rate set to "auto" ) with the v-sync option enabled despite disabling it each time.

I have a GTX 760 (Driver version 346.72) with an i7 4770k processor. Any help with either problem is appreciated.
Xpander Jun 13, 2015
maybe driver issue? have you tried different drivers? im on 352.09 and it saves fine..i was on 346.36 or something before and it saved fine also.. havent tested 346.72
HadBabits Jun 13, 2015
I could try. I'm using the Xorg Edgers PPA, would you happen to know which packages I need to uninstall/install, by chance? I try to mess with that stuff as little as possible, I've booted into too many black screens in the past XD
StianTheDark Jun 13, 2015
TIP: Don't use xorg-edgers.
Xpander Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: HadBabitsI could try. I'm using the Xorg Edgers PPA, would you happen to know which packages I need to uninstall/install, by chance? I try to mess with that stuff as little as possible, I've booted into too many black screens in the past XD

no idea about buntu based distros sadly
StianTheDark Jun 14, 2015
I would highly recommend trying out Manjaro, as it has much more updated drivers and just as easy to use ^.^

It even has an easy to use "Kernel" section where you can switch between kernels at will. At least give it a spin, comes with Steam (native) preinstalled, meaning it doesn't require Steam runtime! :D
wolfyrion Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkI would highly recommend trying out Manjaro, as it has much more updated drivers and just as easy to use ^.^

It even has an easy to use "Kernel" section where you can switch between kernels at will. At least give it a spin, comes with Steam (native) preinstalled, meaning it doesn't require Steam runtime! :D

I can agree with you about Manjaro ,as I am using it ,is easy to handle drivers and kernel but two things

1. Manjaro doesnt have the latest drivers since it doesnt give you the latest beta drivers just the released ones.
(sometimes is good and sometimes is bad :P)

2. Manjaro Steam Native is not working well with some games - it cannot launch some games and also if you right click on the tray icon is not working (KDE Bug?)...
(Solution is to launch steam runtime ;) --> env STEAM_RUNTIME=1 /usr/bin/steam %U <--
wolfyrion Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: HadBabitsSo for a while I've noticed that my computer will stutter at a constant interval. Not always at boot, but if it's been running for a bit. It's not particular to any application or game; once it starts I'll notice it in all games and video playback. I've tried playing with my nVidia settings, flipping between 60-144hz and trying g-sync, none of it seems to eliminate it. Also, when the stutter is occuring and G-sync is on the stuttered frame is replaced with a frame of black screen instead.

I don't know if this is related, but I've also noticed that the nVidia settings applications doesn't save my settings between boots, despite saving them to the xorg file (which can be found here: http://pastebin.com/XmdV5Gks). Every time I restart my computer it's running 60hz (Both resolution and refresh rate set to "auto" ) with the v-sync option enabled despite disabling it each time.

I have a GTX 760 (Driver version 346.72) with an i7 4770k processor. Any help with either problem is appreciated.

On Manjaro I am using Plasma 5 with the 349.16 Drivers and I have problems with NVIDIA drivers as well.

1.I cant change any video resolution on KDE - it results on Blank screen.
2. Sometimes on my screen I notice that when I minimize steam "friends" it gives me an invisible square and in order to fix it I have to exit steam and relogin so I guess is like an invisible shutter frame. ?? This is not happening while playing games

I though that these problems were related to Plasma 5 but as I see is more driver related problems
I am just waiting for the 352.09 drivers according to Nvidia it fixes a lot of problems.
StianTheDark Jun 14, 2015
[quote=wolfyrionI can agree with you about Manjaro ,as I am using it ,is easy to handle drivers and kernel but two things

1. Manjaro doesnt have the latest drivers since it doesnt give you the latest beta drivers just the released ones.
(sometimes is good and sometimes is bad :P)

2. Manjaro Steam Native is not working well with some games - it cannot launch some games and also if you right click on the tray icon is not working (KDE Bug?)...
(Solution is to launch steam runtime ;) --&gt; env STEAM_RUNTIME=1 /usr/bin/steam %U &lt;--[/quote]
Yes it has. You can simply install the nvidia-beta AUR package using pamac!
HadBabits Jun 15, 2015
Quoting: StianTheDarkTIP: Don't use xorg-edgers.

Oh? 0.o It's the only simple solution I've found to getting more recent drivers thus far.

And I appreciate the feedback, but I'm hoping I can avoid changing distros for this one problem, especially since I've no experience with Arch-based distros. I think I'll just try updating the drivers and report back.
HadBabits Jun 15, 2015
Okay, so I updated to 352.09, and it actually made the G-sync stutter issue way worse XD Instead of just a quick black frame I could see the screen get moved/misaligned in that frame. The good news is that I discovered the problem :D Turns out that turning the "allow flipping" setting off stops the stuttering. I thought I had tried that before, but whatever. Thanks for the responses guys :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.