Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Show your desktop
Page: «5/10»
  Go to:
Hamish Apr 9, 2012
So for April I have decided it is time that I show off my true penguin colours:
[ATTACH=full]343[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions for any other great Tux wallpapers? ;)
Xpander Apr 9, 2012
i dont remember if i posted my dualscreen setup here allready...lazy to check pages back also:D

Still MATE Desktop Environment.
chat apps are constantly on the second monitor(marked as allways on visible workspace) so i can chat when playing fullscreen games or what not.
between other apps that are maximized i switch with workspaces :)
Hamish Apr 9, 2012
How exactly do you have your dual heads configured may I ask?
Xpander Apr 9, 2012
Quoting: "Hamish, post: 3976, member: 6"How exactly do you have your dual heads configured may I ask?

Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +1920+0, DFP: 1920x1080 +0+0; CRT: NULL, DFP: 1920x1080 +0+0"
in xorg.conf

and added keybinds for switching between metamodes. alt+ + is xrandr -s 0 command and alt+ - is for xrandr -s 1
so basically first metamode is when both screens enabled and second is with smaller screen disabled.

thats needed for some games which get confused with the huge resolution and go over 2 screens
so when i start up game with metamodes, it switches off the smaller monitor and then i can turn it back on with alt+ +
Hamish Apr 9, 2012
Yeah, well, that is the primary reason I have Zaphod Mode. You just set it up and you have no real problems when it comes to bad interactions between the two screens.

The only real issue I ever have is that some applications (*cough* LibreOffice *cough*) if open on one screen will insist on opening all new windows of that application on that one screen even if you load it up on the other. This is the only reason I have AbiWord installed, as that way I can have two documents open on both screens and compare.

But for gaming in my humble opinion, there is nothing better. You could even have two games open on both screens and, besides the input locks, never have an issue.
Xpander Apr 9, 2012
thats some opensource driver thingy if i got the information correctly.
im using proprietary nvidia drivers and nvidia has the metamode thingy, which works perfectly for me. no problems at all with gaming and no problems with libreoffice also:)
Hamish Apr 9, 2012
No, it is an Xorg thingy, though driver support does indeed vary. Catalyst is fine with Zaphod as are most of the FOSS drivers.

But if your happy with what you have, that is good. As I said though, Zaphod works beautifully for me.

There is just something about LibreOffice... probably something to do with some of the StarOffice heritage parts I am guessing.
Xpander Apr 9, 2012
i might test someday..thx for heads up.
im currently satisfied with my solution, but if my needs go in different direction or some apps that i start to use start to cause some problems..then i will give a shot for this method :)
Hamish May 8, 2012
For my desktop in May I decided on a warmer set of wallpapers since it is (finnally) spring here, so I just grabbed some of the Gnome ones:
[

Perhaps the most notable change is that I have finally found a suitable replacement to the Gnome audio mixer in the form of the independent pnmixer, which has allowed me to stop using the Gnome Fallback indicators in favour of pnmixer and the superior Xfce power manager.
Xpander May 8, 2012
thats gnome3 fallbackmode?

have you tryed MATE desktop yet?

its been damn stable for me last 4 months since the version 1.1 (1.2 currently)

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

dev team is quite active as well. worth to take a look if u care about oldschool gnome2 experience.
xfce is nice also..but i dislike file manger in xfce and its missing some of my favorite applets that i can use with mate/gnome2
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.