Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Your help needed: Collecting "Games worth your bucks"
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Eike Nov 13, 2015
As discussions among us continue and as Steam users keep asking in the Steam forums what having over 1500 games for Linux on Steam is actual worth, how much crap and how many good games we have available, I'd like to sort it out a bit. And as I don't intend to do blaming, I want to do the opposite: Building a list of games worth your bucks. It should contain games you would recommend to fellow Linux gamers. I started a list, and it's still not all games I would personally recommend, but obviously, I cannot try all the games, so your help is needed here. Please take a look at this list and add your recommendations:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/crowdfunding/index.php/Games_worth_your_bucks

Addition: I can add your suggestions to the wiki if you post them here, but please, give ma a line why you are recommending the game, I find it hard to do that myself for games I possibly don't even know.

I submitted an article about this, but was refered to the forums. I understand that this would have been an unusual article, while I still think it would have suitable. I wonder if the forums get enough attention fo such a joint action, so show me that the forums users are many and active... ;)
ricki42 Nov 13, 2015
I added Assault Android Cactus, Kerbal Space Program, SR: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, Victor Vran, and Witcher 2. Should probably add Bioshock: Infinite, Mark of the Ninja, and Borderlands 2 later. Also, Cities: Skylines and Tropico. There are just so many! :D
Eike Nov 13, 2015
Quoting: ricki42I added Assault Android Cactus, Kerbal Space Program, SR: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, Victor Vran, and Witcher 2. Should probably add Bioshock: Infinite, Mark of the Ninja, and Borderlands 2 later. Also, Cities: Skylines and Tropico.

Thanks for helping!

Quoting: ricki42There are just so many! :D

I hope so! :)

I'm reading around in the Steam forums for the different Steam Machines, and an impressive list of games could really help arguing. And, even better, it ccould help Linux and Steam Machine gamers find interesting games...
ricki42 Nov 14, 2015
I added some more games, but shouldn't there be a link to that list somewhere on the wiki? As of now, it's only linked from this topic I think. Of course, searching the wiki finds it.
oldrocker99 Nov 14, 2015
Age of Wonders 3 (great TBS)
DOMINIONS 4 (the BEST TBS. Period.)
Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
War for the Overworld (the true successor to Dungeon Keeper 2)
Vulture for Nethack (Yes, it's free and in every repo, but even at a low price, the devs have gotten enough $$$ to improve the game, and they already have added Slash'EM to the engine)
Pandora: First Contact (Cheaper and maybe better than CIV: Beyond Earth)
Europa Univesralis IV (amazing to me to see this missing)
Crusader Kings 2 (ditto)
Unity of Command (TBS wargames don't get any better than this)
Bioshock Infinite (well, Borderlands 2 is there)
Transistor (from the creators of Bastion, just as weird and just as different)

I was surprised to not have seen these on the list. All of them I considered worth the bux.
Eike Nov 14, 2015
Quoting: ricki42I added some more games, but shouldn't there be a link to that list somewhere on the wiki? As of now, it's only linked from this topic I think. Of course, searching the wiki finds it.

It was a proposal, an attempt, but if people start contributing I guess we could link it well under "Games Lists" on the starting page, yes. Done that now.
Eike Nov 14, 2015
Quoting: oldrocker99I was surprised to not have seen these on the list. All of them I considered worth the bux.

I only entered games I actually own until now, which is making the list biased to my favorite genres. (Not many wuldn't have put in some of the point and clicks, I guess.) So thanks for your list, I will add them later. If others want to write down their list here rather than putting them into the wiki, this is welcome as well.

Edit: I've entered your games, thanks for the contribution!
Julius Nov 14, 2015
Geometry Wars 3
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Anomaly 2 (sequel to Anomaly Warzone Earth)
Strike Suite Zero
Shadow Warrior
SpecOps the Line
Battle Worlds Kronos
Halfway
Eike Nov 14, 2015
Thanks for your input, Julius!

Quoting: JuliusBattle Worlds Kronos

Is this working stable now? I tried the demo twice with a long gap between, but it always crashed for me.
Liam Dawe Nov 14, 2015
While it's a nice idea, where does it stop and end? It will end up being a massive list which would be too big to be useful?
Eike Nov 14, 2015
Quoting: liamdaweWhile it's a nice idea, where does it stop and end? It will end up being a massive list which would be too big to be useful?

I'm not sure. :)

I really hope it ends up in a massive list. The primary use I thought of in the beginning was to show that we've got a massive list of games to our disposal.

Once I read from a Windows user in the Steam forum that we would resrict ourselves and that we shouldn't cry because we haven't got enough to play. We know that this is not true, but how to show him? In the last days I've read similiar things several times when looking through the Steam Machine forums on Steam. The massive list you're predicting would be helpful in such cases. Of course, some people will find it never enough if it's not all Windows games, but for the others.

Now that I've started the list I wonder if it could be useful for us when looking out for new games as well, and to be honest, I don't know if it will. What I would do if the list would be fed by many people is to look for the genre I'm longing for and see if some line catches my eye.

It might also help people deciding to jump on the Linux gaming or the Steam Machine train. Is there enough to play? Yes, there is. What can I play in my favorite genre? Please take a look.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.