Is it unreasonable to only buy Linux games with Steam Cloud support?
Hermit Jun 16, 2016
My situation is that I have two computers which i update operating systems on around once a year.

Steam Cloud has two main features for me:
The ability to use the same save file over two computers.
The ability to delete games or install new operating systems and keep my save files.
(I know I could keep my games and OS on a different drive / partition)

Recently I have started only purchasing Linux games with Steam Cloud support which is convenient but halves the Steam Linux library.

There are some games that i won't play even though I want to because of this.

Am i being unreasonable?
Xpander Jun 16, 2016
you could also set up automatic syncing with dropbox for game saves..
but this will require some manual tweaking, cause damn games like to put those save files all over our home folders
MajGuano Jun 16, 2016
You are probably being unreasonable. FTL doesn't use steam cloud and FTL is freakin' awesome. If you're refusing to play FTL, you're being unreasonable. ;)

You don't back anything up when you "update" (reinstall?) your OS?

Your savegames are typically stored in ~/.local/share . Back 'em up before you update. You don't have other files you'll be backing up anyway?

"The ability to delete games ... and keep my save files"

You already have this ability. Steam does not automatically delete your savegames when you uninstall a game. If you re-install the game, your saves will still be there, unless you manually deleted them.

"I know I could keep my games and OS on a different drive/partition"

Yes. You should do that.

Alternatively, you could just put /home on a separate partition, and reinstall your os rootfs separately, as needed. This is nice because you also keep your user's config files (KDE/GNOME settings, etc), and all your savegames. Steam saves your games executables and data in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common by default, so all your games stay installed too.

Keeping /home on a separate partition will save you lots of time in the long run. It helps keep your OS disposable. If something gets hosed, you can just nuke your OS, and keep all your files. You can even share your /home across multiple operating systems. For example, If you use Ubuntu, and want to try out Manjaro, you just need to create a small (20G should suffice) partition for your Manjaro root and install it there, and then just add your /home parition in fstab (or set up your /home using the partitioning tool at install time, just be careful not to format it!). All your files and games and user configs will be ready for you on your first login.

Setting this up is only a little bit of extra effort. You only have to do it once, and you will reap the benefits for years. It is easiest to do at install time, but if you want to do it after-the-fact, here's a guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

To share your savegames with your other computer, if they're on the same network, you can just share the relevant directories over SMB or NFS or whatever pleases you. If you mount the shares correctly, it will be seamless. If they're not on the same network, just copy your files with a flash drive and sneakernet.
GNUzel Jun 17, 2016
I think it's unreasonable to avoid buying certain games because of lack of Steam cloud. Before we had Steam, you kept your saves on a memory card or something like that. I keep the backups of my game saves on flash drives or in the cloud. As Xpander said, you could simply sync the saves with the internet. That's up to you of course. When I update OS on a computer, I either back the saves up on a flash drive. (you could write a script for that even, and put it on the flash drive.) or I just forsake them. That's up to you though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.