Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Noob gamer looking for game suggestions that I might like (upcoming Steam sale?)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
kirkgun Jun 18, 2016
Hi all,

I finally made an account here after lurking for a number of months. I'm a full-time linux user (and have been for numerous years, and was a part-time linux user dating back to about the year 2000) and a total noob gamer. When I say a noob gamer, I mean it. I've never owned a console and the only game I played any significant amount on PC, until recently, was Assault Cube (and I was gooooooood!). So with the gaining linux support by game producers and porters I figured I should help support by putting my money where my mouth is (my linux fanboy mouth that is).

I need help finding new titles to buy, and I'm struggling to find games I want to try. So, I'd love some suggestions. Throw them out there, please.

Here's a little about me and my preferences...

I already have bought (and entirely finished):
Portal
Portal 2
Talos Principle
Tomb Raider

I absolutely loved the portal games. Talos Principle was fun solving the puzzles, but the philosophy lecture wasn't quite as fun as the hilarious humor of the portal games. Still I liked it though. Tomb Raider had some fun sections (and following Lara around and staring at her butt was pleasant enough) but the game play was not quite as entertaining as the puzzle games to me. I guess I like solving puzzles?

I've never liked racing games. I don't think I'm interested in online/cooperative games. I tried Team Fortress 2, and didn't enjoy it much. I like playing a game for 15 minutes to an an hour at a time, by myself. I have never been much interested big-action first person shooters. I prefer slower paced and more realistic precision sniping than running around with a machine gun and blowing everything up or mowing down 400 enemies in 60 seconds. I find games of building cities, or empires, to be unappealing. Games that are entirely strategy don't have much appeal either. I just want to be able to sit down a few times per week and have some fun for about an hour, and maybe 2 hours max on the weekends.

Like I said, I'm a total noob at buying games. And I'm pretty old. I'm a married 42 year old guy. I have very limited experience playing games, so I don't really know what I like. I just read descriptions/advertisements/reviews of a lot of games and I think, "Boy that doesn't sound very fun." Maybe I would enjoy different types of games more than I think I would. Give me some suggestions. I am pretty open minded, but completely lost in the world of gaming.

Oh yeah, I only have linux computers at my home. I've bought everything from Steam so far. I want to support people bringing software to linux. I only play games on the home theater system, from the couch, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. The computer isn't the most top-of-the-line gaming rig. I'm not a performance snob (at least not yet). Spending big money to get a few extra FPS isn't ever going to be serious side hobby for me. But it's a solid performing custom built machine though, and I may look at updating my GTX660SC this year to a 1070 when pricing gets more competitive. It played all the games listed above without any complaints by me about performance (I haven't overclocked the CPU, but I could).
Ehvis Jun 18, 2016
Steam summer sale is up next week, so a good time to select some stuff.

I'd say the age thing is irrelevant. I exceed your slightly, but I've been smashing my way though Shadow of Mordor nonetheless.

As for suggestions, maybe try XCOM. The first one, XCOM 2 will probably be less than spectacular on a GTX660. Works very well for playing short periods.

Of course, you could also try something completely new and risk that one hour becoming five :P .
Ben D Jun 19, 2016
Quoting: EhvisAs for suggestions, maybe try XCOM. The first one
Sounds like your preferences are similar to mine, so I would second the suggestion of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and add Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (both I and II).

EDIT: Just remembered only KOTOR II is on Linux, KOTOR I is Windows-only.
wojtek88 Jun 19, 2016
The question here is - did you like Tomb Raider or not? Because "fun moments" is something hard to interpret. If you did, then there is a title that is missed by many Linux gamers, that is based on Tomb Raider and Uncharted, but is FPS. It's Deadfall Adventures. It's fun game, mix of action and puzzle, not perfect port, but a game I can recommend.
kirkgun Jun 19, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really appreciate it. This really helps. Keep them coming!

QuoteThe question here is - did you like Tomb Raider or not?

I guess I'd say that I did like it. I preferred the three pure puzzle games though.

If another Tomb Raider was ported, I'd buy it but I'd definitely wait for a sale. There were parts and sections that I felt like I was really "in to it". Solving the tombs was good, but they were too easy. The combat parts could be intense. Those combat sequences were also too easy on medium (on hard they were much more fun).

Then there was all the time where I was just running around looking to pick up stuff scattered around the maps. Every two seconds hitting the "survival instinct" button. To be honest, that was really boring. And it felt like that was at least 50 percent of the game (much of that after I had already defeated the big bad guy and "won" the game). Maybe that's an exaggeration, but that's what it felt like.

If it had 20 more tombs (and more difficult ones) and 10 more combat scenes, and got rid of 50% of the artifacts/challenge items to find, then I would have totally loved it.

I'm not trying to rag on the game, just give you an idea of what I liked and didn't like personally.
wojtek88 Jun 19, 2016
Quoting: kirkgunThanks for all the suggestions so far. I really appreciate it. This really helps. Keep them coming!

QuoteThe question here is - did you like Tomb Raider or not?

I guess I'd say that I did like it. I preferred the three pure puzzle games though.

If another Tomb Raider was ported, I'd buy it but I'd definitely wait for a sale. There were parts and sections that I felt like I was really "in to it". Solving the tombs was good, but they were too easy. The combat parts could be intense. Those combat sequences were also too easy on medium (on hard they were much more fun).

Then there was all the time where I was just running around looking to pick up stuff scattered around the maps. Every two seconds hitting the "survival instinct" button. To be honest, that was really boring. And it felt like that was at least 50 percent of the game (much of that after I had already defeated the big bad guy and "won" the game). Maybe that's an exaggeration, but that's what it felt like.

If it had 20 more tombs (and more difficult ones) and 10 more combat scenes, and got rid of 50% of the artifacts/challenge items to find, then I would have totally loved it.

I'm not trying to rag on the game, just give you an idea of what I liked and didn't like personally.
Then Deadfall Adventures is for you. Fights are rather easy (at some point it gets harder, puzzles are rather fun).
Ehvis Jun 19, 2016
The Linux version of Deadfall Adventures has a few bugs in there though. The most notable one is that the map is mirrored upside down. Nothing to keep you from finishing the game though.
Shmerl Jun 20, 2016
Lot's of good Linux games on GOG sale now. I just bought Broforce and Dex.
wojtek88 Jun 20, 2016
Quoting: ShmerlLot's of good Linux games on GOG sale now. I just bought Broforce and Dex.
True, Broforce is golden, but person need to be into this kind of entertainment.
If you watched "the Expendables" and You considered fun - this game is definitely for you. And price on gog for it is great now.

The disadvantage of it is that you need to pass entire chapter at once to save progress if I recall correctly (few maps, about 0.5-1 hour to beat)
Shmerl Jun 20, 2016
These are just examples that I bought recently :) There are other good games on sale now too.

For example Shadow Warrior is now 90% off.

And lot's of great RPGs too, Witcher 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin and etc.

And I'll also highly recommend the satirical Bard's Tale.

View video on youtube.com

And let's not forget such adventure gems as Grim Fandango, Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

All of the above are on sale now.
wojtek88 Jun 20, 2016
Quoting: ShmerlThese are just examples that I bought recently :) There are other good games on sale now too.

For example Shadow Warrior is now 90% off.

And lot's of great RPGs too, Witcher 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin and etc.

And I'll also highly recommend the satirical Bard's Tale.

View video on youtube.com

And let's not forget such adventure gems as Grim Fandango, Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

All of the above are on sale now.
All the games you listed are very nice. However, Shadow Warrior is definitely not for @kirkgun.
Witcher 2 is perfect, and everyone should play the whole series (hopefully at some day Witcher 3 on Linux).
Pillars of Eternity is great as well, I've not played Divinity Original Sin (I'm still mad at Larian and does not want to give them money as long as game is not on at least 75% sale).

Rest of the games is really GOG (Good Old Games) but I don't know it @kirgun is looking for classics or does he want some more recent games to play.

But in general @Shmerl, all you wrote is right.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.