Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Guide: How to get Feral games working with AMDGPU-PRO drivers
dderp Aug 6, 2016
As some of you know, Feral games don't work with amdgpu-pro drivers by default. A patch was created by atom-symbol to do so, but for an outdated version of the driver: http://atom-symbol.net/f/2016-05-25/

I ported the same patch to the latest version. Here is the link: link
To apply the patch, you have to install xdelta3. Once that's done, apply the patches:
sudo cp /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu-dri.so-backup
sudo cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so-backup
sudo xdelta3 -df -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so ./amdgpu_dri.so-i386.patch /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so
sudo xdelta3 -df -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so ./amdgpu_dri.so-x86_64.patch /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so

The problem is the OpenGL version strings. It fixes that. Here is the new output of glxinfo | grep OpenGL after the patch:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.13448 11.3.0 ofile Context
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13448 11.3.0 bility Profile Context
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: 4.5.13448 11.3.0 bility Profile Context
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

I will provide further details about how to fix the OpenGL version string yourself manually in case there is no patch available for future updates. BTW, I suggest using the latest open source drivers (from git) unless you are playing Bioshock Infinite or Shadow of Mordor. Everything else is slower or equal performance.

How to edit the binary manually
First, make sure that you save and close all your important work because this might crash your session.

Install a hex editor, ghex for example. Then, sudo ghex /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so

Search for string "Core PrH" (case sensitive) and replace it with "11.3.0 H". Then search for "CompatiH". Make sure it is the one followed by "bility" soon after (there are two occurrences of "CompatiH" ) and replace that with "11.3.0 H". Now, before proceeding make sure to not have anything important open. Save your changes (this might crash your session).

Open the 32-bit file now: sudo ghex /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/amdgpu_dri.so
Search for string "Compatibility Profile" and replace it with "C11.3.0 ility Profile". Search for string "Core Profile" and replace it with "C11.3.0 file". Save the file.
With these changes, feral games should launch with AMDGPU-PRO.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.