You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Need help testing some game updates
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
MyGameCompany Feb 28, 2012
Hello,

I've rebuilt the Linux binaries for two of my games, Dirk Dashing 1 and The Adventures of Rick Rocket, using the newest game engine from Dirk Dashing 2 and an updated set of SDL libraries. I built and tested them on Ubuntu 9.10, and I need some folks to download them and give them a quick check on whatever other distribution you might happen to be using.

Dirk Dashing: Secret Agent v1.2.2 release candidate:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/privatedld/dirkdashingsetup_linux

The Adventures of Rick Rocket v1.1.1 release candidate:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/privatedld/rickrocketsetup_linux

Note: both games use a graphical installer, you need to set the executable bit on each file after you download it. Then run the file to install the game. Both games are also 32-bit, so if you're using a 64-bit distro, make sure you have the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed.

Here's what changed in both:
* Fixed: crash when installing on some 64-bit distributions (basically updated my Bitrock installers)
* Fixed: crash when trying to use a gamepad or joystick on newer Linux kernels
* Fixed: bad permissions set on some files by Linux installer
* Fixed: toggling between fullscreen and windowed modes intermittently crashes the game
* Fixed: toggling between fullscreen and windowed modes can scramble the game textures
* Fixed: better support for PulseAudio, without the need to use "padsp" on some 64-bit distros (like Mandriva 2011)
* Optimized texture loading so it works better across a wider range of video cards
Beherit Feb 28, 2012
Ubuntu 11.10 32bit

Rick Rocket
Can't shoot when throttling and turning left at the same time using the keyboard. It works when I do the same but turn right.

Ignore this, it's my laptop's keyboard thing apparently
MyGameCompany Feb 28, 2012
Thanks, Beherit!
Xpander Feb 29, 2012
Dirk Dashing:
main.tcl:4411): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

(main.tcl:4411): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

Rick Rocket:
(main.tcl:4428): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

(main.tcl:4428): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

also have to mark them as executable. Have seen some installers on linux which have automatically selected as executable.
32bit compatibility layers are installed, at least i think so. other linux games do work fine like amnesia when i start 32bit one or xonotic and nexuiz and so forth.
or those games need anything specific?

my system:
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955 , ~3.2GHz
Memory:8 GB DDR3 (1333Mhz)
Video Card:Asus Geforce 560 Ti 1GB Direct CU
Sound Card:Realtek ALC889
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Operating System:Linux Mint 12 64bit
Kernel: 3.2.0
Filesystem: ext4
Desktop Environment: MATE
MyGameCompany Feb 29, 2012
Hm, that's a new error. I'll have to do a bit of investigating to figure out where this is coming from...
MyGameCompany Mar 1, 2012
Well some searching on Google and in the Linux Mint forums shows a lot of people having the GdkPixbuf warning, but I've yet to see any solutions posted for it. But I'm wondering if it is even contributing to the seg fault...

Can you e-mail me the log file for one of the games? You'll find Dirk's in your home directory under ~/.dirkdashing/ddlog.txt. Send it to info AT mygamecompany DOT com. Thanks!
Xpander Mar 1, 2012
i was thinking same.. that gdkpixbuf warning seems not related to the game. Checked from google also, seems to happen on Debian and Mint
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68344&p=388065&hilit=GdkPixbuf#p388065
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/librsvg/ bug/779741

seems that error comes after u tryed many different desktop enviroments and some schemas mix up or are wrong..
and its just the warning so its not releated to the game seg fault issue

anyways i would send u the logs but i dont have .dirkdashing folder in my home directory(and im not linux newbie either to no spot the hidden files/folders)
any more debugging options to check whats causing the seg faults?
Well, if the game isn't even generating the .dirkdashing folder to create the log file, then that gives me a pretty good idea of how far it got... not very. Hm...
Xpander Mar 1, 2012
then i cannot debug it also. if it just segfaults straight a way.
i tested some other games again and no issues. humble bundle games like anomaly, edge, osmos, toki tori
all work fine when i start 32bit ones on my 64bit system.
Rustybolts Mar 1, 2012
Just tried it here on Mint 11
Quoterustybolts@rustybolts-Aspire-5742G ~ $ cd '/home/rustybolts/Downloads'
rustybolts@rustybolts-Aspire-5742G ~/Downloads $ '/home/rustybolts/Downloads/dirkdashingsetup_linux'
Segmentation fault

:(
OHHH! It's the installer that's crashing, not the game. I missed that small detail.

That helps a lot. Thanks for posting the command you were running, Rusty!

I submitted a support request with Bitrock. Hopefully I can get this fixed quickly!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.