Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Is gamingonlinux.com blocked?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
ageres Sep 25, 2016
Hello. Few days ago I lost access to gamingonlinux.com and now I have to use Tor Browser or Opera 40 VPN.

If I use http in the url (not https), the site looks like this:

When I ping the site, it responds:

And it looks like GoL server shares IP with some sites those are blocked in Russia (where I live) for hosting illegal TV series, hentai images or just without a reason. Our government blocks IPs, not domain names, and they don't give a damn if there are other sites affected.

Then I discovered GoL got moved to a different server recently:

So I think, that's when this problem appeared.
Liam Dawe Sep 25, 2016
We use cloudflare, so it's likely you will have this issue with a number of websites.

Also, that second to last picture is not our IP, it has "31" where as ours is "30".

Does your ISP or country block certain types of sites?
badber Sep 25, 2016
Didn't know GOL uses Cloudflare. Thank you Liam & others if there are any behind the decision to allow Tor exit nodes to access GOL without Cloudflare's idiotic forced captchas. Those have single handedly made the web completely impractical to browse through Tor during the past year. Not many companies can make the claim of making something as important as that almost useless.
ageres Sep 26, 2016
Quoting: liamdaweAlso, that second to last picture is not our IP, it has "31" where as ours is "30".
I know, but when I type "gamingonlinux.com" there, that's what I see. "+1" means there's another IP related to a blocked domain, but it isn't shown for some reason. There are many sites dedicated to finding if a domain blocked, but all of them are unofficial and don't update regularly, and there's no full catalogue and no way to know for sure what is blocked and what is not. ALso, there is https://eais.rkn.gov.ru/en/, but it's usefull.

There are many blocked web-sites, and if any law court or Roskomnadzor itself decides to ban one more, every ISP in Russia is forced to block access to it.
Quoting: liamdaweWe use cloudflare, so it's likely you will have this issue with a number of websites.
So, no more gaming on Linux without Tor/VPN? :(
m2mg2 Sep 26, 2016
Quoting: badberDidn't know GOL uses Cloudflare. Thank you Liam & others if there are any behind the decision to allow Tor exit nodes to access GOL without Cloudflare's idiotic forced captchas. Those have single handedly made the web completely impractical to browse through Tor during the past year. Not many companies can make the claim of making something as important as that almost useless.

I despise Cloudfare for this reason, I would never choose to use something that creates so much breakage for no good reason. They should be able fix this, yet they choose not to.
Liam Dawe Sep 26, 2016
Quoting: badberDidn't know GOL uses Cloudflare. Thank you Liam & others if there are any behind the decision to allow Tor exit nodes to access GOL without Cloudflare's idiotic forced captchas. Those have single handedly made the web completely impractical to browse through Tor during the past year. Not many companies can make the claim of making something as important as that almost useless.
I'm only on the free plan, so none of that should be needed.
Samsai Sep 26, 2016
Quoting: ageresI know, but when I type "gamingonlinux.com" there, that's what I see. "+1" means there's another IP related to a blocked domain, but it isn't shown for some reason. There are many sites dedicated to finding if a domain blocked, but all of them are unofficial and don't update regularly, and there's no full catalogue and no way to know for sure what is blocked and what is not. ALso, there is https://eais.rkn.gov.ru/en/, but it's usefull.

There are many blocked web-sites, and if any law court or Roskomnadzor itself decides to ban one more, every ISP in Russia is forced to block access to it.
In normal circumstances I'd recommend you change your ISP but in this case I recommend you change your country.
Liam Dawe Sep 27, 2016
I have adjusted the security level a bit lower through Cloudflare, could you let me know now? The security is now set to "Essentially off: Challenges only the most grievous offenders", so if you still have to enter a captcha you may want to speak to your ISP.
m2mg2 Sep 28, 2016
The captcha's aren't a problem with settings, it is a problem with Cloudfare itself. Cloudfare acts as if anonymous viewers are somehow malicious. If it can't monitor you, you must not be real right? I'm pretty sure all sites using Cloudfare generate captcha's for viewers on TOR. I went to the site in TOR and can confirm it requests captcha's, and not nice ones but all kinds of crazy garbage. I've had to sit through ~1 minute of captcha screens to get to a Cloudfare site.
Liam Dawe Sep 28, 2016
Quoting: m2mg2The captcha's aren't a problem with settings, it is a problem with Cloudfare itself. Cloudfare acts as if anonymous viewers are somehow malicious. If it can't monitor you, you must not be real right? I'm pretty sure all sites using Cloudfare generate captcha's for viewers on TOR. I went to the site in TOR and can confirm it requests captcha's, and not nice ones but all kinds of crazy garbage. I've had to sit through ~1 minute of captcha screens to get to a Cloudfare site.
Someone on reddit said it was solved after I changed the settings.

I just checked myself using TOR, no captcha for me.
MadVillain Sep 28, 2016
Also had to use Tor to reach this website and I'm also from Russia.
I don't think that this website was blocked by the government. When it happens you get redirected to the page that says "This website is blocked blah blah...", but it's just gives me timeout error after very long wait.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.