Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
How do you guys manage fan settings in your PC?
MaCroX95 Oct 5, 2016
I have a GTX970 that is OC edition and it seems that it gets stable at around 80°C in intensive games, however I'd like to be able to manage my fan profiles to use my fan a bit more and keep temperature a bit lower around 60s... Does anyone know for such software or do you guys set the fan speed manually and leave it until done playing, or do you use stock settings?

What are your suggestions and ways/workarounds?
robvv Oct 5, 2016
If you have the proprietary drivers installed, there should be a nvidia-settings utility which will enable you to make all sorts of changes to the configuration (but see below). I use this in conjunction with the nvdock taskbar application.

To adjust the GPU fan control, you will also need to add following to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, under "Device":
Option "Coolbits" "4" 

I hope this helps!
MaCroX95 Oct 5, 2016
Hey @Robvv thank you for your reponse! I have coolbits enabled and I can manually adjust the fan settings, I also managed to find a script that manages coolbits configuration depending on the temperature of the GPU, however it would be nice if we found someone who could make a GUI for such a script so we would be more open to newcomers that would like to do the same, I personally like to keep my temps of gpu bellow 60 degrees because it extends the life expectancy of the gpu a lot and a fan can be replaced.

I am wondering does anyone know how to make practical simple GUIs for bash scripts?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.