Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Controller support under Wine
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
MaCroX95 Oct 15, 2016
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever managed to get controllers working under games with wine. On Lego Star Wars it recognizes my axis but doesn't recognize normal buttons and I cannot set it up. I have logitech F710 and it supports Xinput and Dinput, on Dinput it isn't even recognized and on Xinput it faces the problem that I mentioned above (speaking of wine)

If anyone has any info on that I'd be really thankful :)
MaCroX95 Oct 15, 2016
Quoting: GuestMy Dualshock 2 works for Burnout Paradise without having to setup anything special.

Lucky you, I installed xboxdrv to enable xinput recognition but I cannot seem to set it up correctly... It activates the second player too. Well it's a step in the right direction :) Will look more into this when I have time.
wojtek88 Oct 16, 2016
I've managed to setup my Dualshock4 with DIRT3: Complete Edition (I've finished the whole game without a single issue), Demo of Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (worked well, but it was hard to configure because some axis buttons were recognized as triggered and I had to manually adjust everything, but after 45 minutes I managed to), Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition (but game does not work super well for me).

So yes, it is possible and not super hard.
For me a solution was always to install x360ce:
https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

I don't remember if it was done exactly like in the link above, but for sure you had to copy some .exe file, .ini (for configuration) and few dll's to games directory.
There is also XInputTest (or something like this) that allows you to check if your controller is correctly recognized and configured.

After this I was successful.
Before Dualshock4 I was also playing with my previous controller, Logitech F310 and it was working this way as well.
MaCroX95 Oct 16, 2016
Quoting: wojtek88I've managed to setup my Dualshock4 with DIRT3: Complete Edition (I've finished the whole game without a single issue), Demo of Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (worked well, but it was hard to configure because some axis buttons were recognized as triggered and I had to manually adjust everything, but after 45 minutes I managed to), Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition (but game does not work super well for me).

So yes, it is possible and not super hard.
For me a solution was always to install x360ce:
https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

I don't remember if it was done exactly like in the link above, but for sure you had to copy some .exe file, .ini (for configuration) and few dll's to games directory.
There is also XInputTest (or something like this) that allows you to check if your controller is correctly recognized and configured.

After this I was successful.
Before Dualshock4 I was also playing with my previous controller, Logitech F310 and it was working this way as well.

Thanks for help, I will look into it :) hopefully I will be able to configure it as it should be. Does it work out of the box when you launch the game after the configuration multiple times for that WINE bottle?
MaCroX95 Oct 16, 2016
Quoting: GuestI don't think any Lego games work with a controller yet.
I hve tried many times and had to boot to windows in the end.

Well there's always a way to set controller to emulate a keyboard inputs... the axis don't work as axis then but rather as buttons but anyway I hope that I will find a better way with emulating xinput since my controller (F710) supports both xinput and dinput.
JudasIscariot Oct 30, 2016
Quoting: MaCroX95Hey guys,

Has anyone ever managed to get controllers working under games with wine. On Lego Star Wars it recognizes my axis but doesn't recognize normal buttons and I cannot set it up. I have logitech F710 and it supports Xinput and Dinput, on Dinput it isn't even recognized and on Xinput it faces the problem that I mentioned above (speaking of wine)

I can play Odallus The Dark Call perfectly with my Xbox 360 controller. All I need to do (for now anyways) is disable the "Microsoft X-box 360 pad (event)" setting in the Game Controllers menu in Wine's Control Panel.

You could try disabling that event for other games and seeing if that works for you...
MaCroX95 Oct 30, 2016
Quoting: JudasIscariot

I can play Odallus The Dark Call perfectly with my Xbox 360 controller. All I need to do (for now anyways) is disable the "Microsoft X-box 360 pad (event)" setting in the Game Controllers menu in Wine's Control Panel.

You could try disabling that event for other games and seeing if that works for you...

Where do you find that feature? :)
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: JudasIscariot

Where do you find that feature? :)

Open up your terminal and type

wine control.exe

and you will see the Wine Control Panel pop up.

Look in the "Game Controllers" section :)

Credit goes to this gentleman for the controller fix in Odallus: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173/post413
MaCroX95 Oct 30, 2016
Unfortunately it does nothing for me :( everything is same as if I did nothing... in controller settings the controller is recognized correctly but in the game it just fails to do the job for some reason
Quoting: MaCroX95Unfortunately it does nothing for me :( everything is same as if I did nothing... in controller settings the controller is recognized correctly but in the game it just fails to do the job for some reason

Then I highly recommend filing a bug report in WineHQ's bugzilla about it I've had some controller issues resolved myself and since controller support is being worked currently, it's a good time to post a bug report :)

Here's my personal guide to ensure your problem gets looked at and possibly fixed:

1. When submitting a bug report be sure to use a good title for your issue that accurately describes your problem.

2. Make sure to attach the terminal output as you attempt to reproduce the issue as the terminal output gives a decent amount of info that could help a developer solve your issue (Remember: not everyone may have this game to test and since you cannot legally just send a copy of the game, the more information you give, the easier it will be for someone to diagnose the problem.)

3. Be sure to state what Windows version you are running the game in and if you have used any winetricks or overrides in the Wine prefix you have the game installed in.

4. Last but not least, be sure to follow up on the issue every now and then :)
MaCroX95 Oct 30, 2016
Can you please tell me where can I find the log file of the attempts and where exactly to report the bug :) Thank you for your assistance
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.