You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Controller support under Wine
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
JudasIscariot Nov 7, 2016
Quoting: MaCroX95Can you please tell me where can I find the log file of the attempts and where exactly to report the bug :) Thank you for your assistance

Well, in all honesty there's more work being done towards better controller support: http://source.winehq.org/patches/ (see all the patches with HID in their names? :) )

Soooo with that in mind, perhaps wait until Wine 1.9.23 or .24?
Arehandoro Jan 9, 2017
Hi guys,

I've been trying to set up the Xbox 360 controller, usb connected, under wine with x360ce as shown here so I can play with it. Have been few days now and after hitting the head against the wall few times, decided to give up a bit and ask in case someone can shed some light to the matter.

So, I'm running Debian stretch 64 bits and my version of wine is 2.0-rc3. xboxdrv is installed and working fine on native linux games. There is a Steam Controller connected to the machine too and the real tone cable from Rocksmith too (this one works fine out of the box as well)

I do as follows:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/x360ce" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/x360ce"

After that I navigate till x360ce folder and download the latest winetricks from its GitHub fork. After that I type this:

bash winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts

The installation goes well, then I proceed to download x360ce file, unzip it and execute it. I create the dll (xinput1_3.dll) I can then re-map the buttons and hit save, which originates a x360ce.ini file. As I can do the mappings just fine I supposed wine was then able to see my controller...

Now another 32 bits prefix is created, in which I will install steam, and The Last Remnant and Batman Arkham Asylum, 2 games reported as working with Wine + controller.

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32"

Anyway, after that, I place the files into the folder of given games where the binaries to execute the game are. Launch the game and surprise! It doesn't work.

Funny enough, if I try to open x360ce again, after exporting it's prefix variable first, I get a parsing error from Microsoft .NET.

I have tried to override dll direction's in both prefixes via winecfg installing Directx9 independently, also tried to run the games, without steam for windows open, as a launcher from steam for linux and that didn't work either. I have also tried to install the script from Kokutoru, but not avail. Everytime I was trying a different thing I was also starting from new prefixes to don't mess around too much.

For more I search on the internet people don't seem to have a real problem to make this work and I'm running out of ideas.

What am I doing wrong? Any help or hints you might have?

Thanks so much!
JudasIscariot Jan 10, 2017
Quoting: ArehandoroHi guys,

I've been trying to set up the Xbox 360 controller, usb connected, under wine with x360ce as shown here so I can play with it. Have been few days now and after hitting the head against the wall few times, decided to give up a bit and ask in case someone can shed some light to the matter.

So, I'm running Debian stretch 64 bits and my version of wine is 2.0-rc3. xboxdrv is installed and working fine on native linux games. There is a Steam Controller connected to the machine too and the real tone cable from Rocksmith too (this one works fine out of the box as well)

I do as follows:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/x360ce" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/x360ce"

After that I navigate till x360ce folder and download the latest winetricks from its GitHub fork. After that I type this:

bash winetricks -q dotnet45 corefonts

The installation goes well, then I proceed to download x360ce file, unzip it and execute it. I create the dll (xinput1_3.dll) I can then re-map the buttons and hit save, which originates a x360ce.ini file. As I can do the mappings just fine I supposed wine was then able to see my controller...

Now another 32 bits prefix is created, in which I will install steam, and The Last Remnant and Batman Arkham Asylum, 2 games reported as working with Wine + controller.

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32"

Anyway, after that, I place the files into the folder of given games where the binaries to execute the game are. Launch the game and surprise! It doesn't work.

Funny enough, if I try to open x360ce again, after exporting it's prefix variable first, I get a parsing error from Microsoft .NET.

I have tried to override dll direction's in both prefixes via winecfg installing Directx9 independently, also tried to run the games, without steam for windows open, as a launcher from steam for linux and that didn't work either. I have also tried to install the script from Kokutoru, but not avail. Everytime I was trying a different thing I was also starting from new prefixes to don't mess around too much.

For more I search on the internet people don't seem to have a real problem to make this work and I'm running out of ideas.

What am I doing wrong? Any help or hints you might have?

Thanks so much!

I had a game that was hell to set up with controller support in Wine and I finally managed to get it all set up. Can you read the "Full Xbox360 controller support" section in this AppDB entry https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34504 and see if any of the tricks I listed help any?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.