Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Mesa 13 and AMD gfx card: sharing happiness! :D
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
ziabice Oct 31, 2016
Warning: This post is a little bit OT.

I use Manjaro Linux, an Arch Linux derivative. Thanks to the today update I got Mesa 13.0rc2 and I can say that this release of the library is fantastic!

On my Radeon 7850 I can finally play Shadow of Mordor with good performance and also Saint Row IV runs at playable FPS (FullHD and with High settings). I haven't tested all the other problematic games I own, but this is certainly a milestone into the history of AAA Linux gaming, at least for me.

So I want to share with you my happiness and say a big thank you! to all the MESA developers that made my day so happy! :D

For the record, here's my actual configuration, paired with 16GB of 2133Mhz DDR3 RAM:
$> inxi -G -C
CPU:       Dual core AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3700 MHz 1: 3700 MHz 2: 1700 MHz 3: 2400 MHz 4: 2400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn PRO [Radeon HD 7850 / R7 265 / R9 270 1024SP]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: radeon Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.5-2-MANJARO, LLVM 3.9.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.0-rc2
crt0mega Nov 1, 2016
Great! I'm gonna upgrade to 13rc2 soon but I still have to recompile it because some lazy Debian maintainer has disabled Gallium-Nine :D
edddeduck_feral Nov 1, 2016
Glad to see all the work and bug fixes that have been going into Mesa have helped you out. It's been a long road but things have really made a leap recently making certain features a lot faster unlocking a number titles.

We've been following and working with Mesa team logging bugs etc but it's great when we see someone experience the improvements in the real work not just on our internal tests :)

:D
ziabice Nov 1, 2016
Quoting: crt0megaGreat! I'm gonna upgrade to 13rc2 soon but I still have to recompile it because some lazy Debian maintainer has disabled Gallium-Nine :D

Move directly to rc3, it has some very important fixes for radeonsi and for Gallium Nine too.

Quoting: edddeduck_feralGlad to see all the work and bug fixes that have been going into Mesa have helped you out. It's been a long road but things have really made a leap recently making certain features a lot faster unlocking a number titles.

Everyone at Feral can be proud of the hard work done, thank you too! :D
wojtek88 Nov 1, 2016
Quoting: edddeduck_feralGlad to see all the work and bug fixes that have been going into Mesa have helped you out. It's been a long road but things have really made a leap recently making certain features a lot faster unlocking a number titles.

We've been following and working with Mesa team logging bugs etc but it's great when we see someone experience the improvements in the real work not just on our internal tests :)

Eddy, if Mesa receives all the fixes that Feral's ports need - will Feral support AMD on Mesa drivers for already released games?
Quoting: wojtek88

Eddy, if Mesa receives all the fixes that Feral's ports need - will Feral support AMD on Mesa drivers for already released games?

Yes! We've already said this since we first had to drop AMD support on a few games. However it needs to be in a stable release that is easy to install officially, not "install the Padoka PPC of the latest git" ;) This is usually the tricky part, that and side effects that only occur on certain settings that people don't care about when unsupported but are an issue if you officially support it.

Once this happens and the game runs great on all settings/cards then we need to fully test and certify the drivers. After all that we can update the min specs on Steam and officially support AMD GPUs using those drivers.
crt0mega Nov 1, 2016
Quoting: ziabiceMove directly to rc3, it has some very important fixes for radeonsi and for Gallium Nine too.
Thanks! I somehow missed that RC3 is out xD

We've been following and working with Mesa team logging bugs etc but it's great when we see someone experience the improvements in the real work not just on our internal tests
Thank you for making Mesa a better place for AMD users! :)
Quoting: crt0mega
Quoting: ziabiceMove directly to rc3, it has some very important fixes for radeonsi and for Gallium Nine too.
Thanks! I somehow missed that RC3 is out xD

We've been following and working with Mesa team logging bugs etc but it's great when we see someone experience the improvements in the real work not just on our internal tests
Thank you for making Mesa a better place for AMD users! :)

I shall pass your message on to all our Devs and QA who've been a large part of the effort :)
crt0mega Nov 1, 2016
Yes! And here it is, Mesa 13!
wojtek88 Nov 1, 2016
Quoting: crt0megaYes! And here it is, Mesa 13!
Great!
Quoting: edddeduck_feral
Quoting: wojtek88

Yes! We've already said this since we first had to drop AMD support on a few games. However it needs to be in a stable release that is easy to install officially, not "install the Padoka PPC of the latest git" ;) This is usually the tricky part, that and side effects that only occur on certain settings that people don't care about when unsupported but are an issue if you officially support it.

Once this happens and the game runs great on all settings/cards then we need to fully test and certify the drivers. After all that we can update the min specs on Steam and officially support AMD GPUs using those drivers.
Eddy - is there something that is missing in this release for Feral ports? Or should we expect this version to be officialy supported (at least for some games)?
Liam Dawe Nov 1, 2016
Well, I'm sure by Ubuntu 17.04 that Mesa will be stable enough for the majority of Feral's port *fingers crossed*
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.