Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Limbo weird performance
wojtek88 Nov 6, 2016
Hi guys,
I've decided to give Limbo a try, because many people really admires this game.
Of course, I play on Linux. And I have a problem on 8th chapter. The game performance is weird - fps counter, either build-in Steam or glxosd presents above 120 fps, but character in-game freezes.

Here is a video that shows how it behaves on my machine.

Did anyone encounter similar problems? Did you solve it?
Ehvis Nov 7, 2016
I finished the entire thing and never had a slow down. It looks like slow motion, as if the animation clock is has slowed down. Weird indeed.
CleanWater Nov 7, 2016
You should try to contact the developers in the forums. It seems that there is something "holding" the performance, like a not well closed while loop unnecessarily running in the background.
wolfyrion Nov 7, 2016
chapter 8 is my most favorite chapter because of many things happening :p
I have tried to reproduce that bug but the game is running normal on my machine.

Can you try it with a controller/gamepad?
Sometimes key repetition settings on keyboard affect this kind of performance?
wojtek88 Nov 8, 2016
In general there is something wrong with the game on my setup. I used to play it from chapter 1 to chapter 7 without a single issue some time ago.
Now as you can see I have a problem in chapter 8, but it looks like some of the previous chapters suffer as well (but not all of them).
@wolfyrion I use Steam controller, but without it I have the same problem.
Just to avoid other questions - all other games run fine, none of them slow down without a reason ;). And it doesn't matter if I'm in Steam Big Picture or do I launch it from the desktop - it is the same.

I guess I will inform developer, but I have to say that this is a huge let down.
wolfyrion Nov 8, 2016
go to LIMBO folder
settings.txt and set backbufferheight = 1080

start the game and let me know if that fix it
wojtek88 Nov 20, 2016
Quoting: wolfyriongo to LIMBO folder
settings.txt and set backbufferheight = 1080

start the game and let me know if that fix it
@wolfyrion thanks, I will try to test if this solves the issue in the evening.

However, I've managed to finish the Limbo by using the same system (Ubuntu 16.04) installed on the external drive (an installation that I did some time ago for testing purpose).

Because of that I wonder - what would be the easiest way to track down what difference in the system caused the problem?
1) Should I list all the installed packages in both systems and list them?
2) Is there any particular configuration that you would start with?

I may add, that on my basic system (the one that does not handle Limbo) I wasn't able to install Dirt 3 on Wine to help someone in other thread. On the second system it worked out of the box.
Eike Nov 20, 2016
I had troubles running Limbo from the very start and was able to work around it by setting the system to 60 instead of 120 Hz. Probably not related to your problem, though.
Mezron Jan 12, 2017
The game runs fine for me. Not sure which chapter I am on, though. I picked it up during the Humble Bundle giveaway.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.