Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Do half-life episodes 1+2 have GNU/Linux support?
KIAaze Nov 8, 2016
I noticed the Half-life episodes 1+2 are not listed as GNU/Linux games on steam, while Half-life 2 and Portal are.
Do they work on GNU/Linux anyway?
Liam Dawe Nov 8, 2016
I assume you mean Half-Life 2 episode 1 and 2, the original does not have episodes.

They do support Linux, and they do have SteamOS icons.
KIAaze Nov 9, 2016
Yes, I meant Half-Life 2 episodes.
The system requirements on Steam only list Windows and Mac OS X.
However I just checked the HL2 page and that one does not list any system requirements at all!

So are only the SteamOS icons meaningful now? not the system requirements (except for hardware of course)?
Liam Dawe Nov 9, 2016
Those games likely came to Linux before Valve put in the requirement for system specs. The SteamOS icon is what matters.
KIAaze Nov 9, 2016
Ok, thanks.
Crystal Dagger Nov 9, 2016
I just finished episode one yesterday and I started episode two today and they work fantastic, I'm impressed on how well HL2 graphics still look nowadays. As liam said, the SteamOS icon is what matters.

My recommendation is that you get "Half-Life Complete" bundle or the "The Orange Box" if you have the money, there are plenty of cheap keys out there, for example I got "Half-Life Complete" for 18€.
Liam Dawe Nov 9, 2016
Well, having a SteamOS icon isn't always all that matters: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/motorsport-manager-released-sort-of-currently-downloads-nothing-on-linux.8506

Sadly, that's quite common too now.
Crystal Dagger Nov 9, 2016
Quoting: liamdaweWell, having a SteamOS icon isn't always all that matters: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/motorsport-manager-released-sort-of-currently-downloads-nothing-on-linux.8506

Sadly, that's quite common too now.

WOW... O_O! Good to know... Gladly I haven't experienced that or I'll get a rage of colossal proportions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.