You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[fixed] Wrong page number in links to comments
Nel Nov 21, 2016
Hey Liam

Today you've posted a link to an old comment into another article:
Quoting: liamdaweActually it's not the first time they have supported mesa, see here.

If I click this link, I end up at top of article with comments on page #2, instead of the right comment on page #3.

It looks like links to a lot of old comments don't work as expected.
Just tested this one, it should link to Keyrock image (Soon) on page #3, but I end up at top of article with comments on page #2:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-controller-demo-from-pax-prime-with-valve-talking-about-it.5942/comment_id=43845

However, links to recent comments work as expected, Lordpkappa page #5
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/nvidia-37520-stable-driver-released-increases-opengl-shader-cache-size-and-more.8563/comment_id=77240
Liam Dawe Nov 21, 2016
Thanks for reporting, I know exactly what the issue is and I can temporarily fix it. The problem is, I don't know what's causing the underlying issue.

Basically, all comments in an article are numbered 1-2-3-4 etc (separate from their actual ID). A bunch of them repeatedly get given the same number, which doesn't make sense. Will have to research it to find out why.
Nel Nov 21, 2016
Quoting: GuestSame here. It’s an old bug that Liam fixed once but it happened again. It also happens for recent articles.
Yeah, I remember this topic, but I thought everything was fixed since link doesn't state page anymore. Now it's just comment_id=XXXXX.

And every links I receive in email are ok. I didn't receive broken links anymore since you reported the issue. So I thought it was a new bug.

Quoting: liamdaweBasically, all comments in an article are numbered 1-2-3-4 etc (separate from their actual ID). A bunch of them repeatedly get given the same number, which doesn't make sense. Will have to research it to find out why.
Well.. didn't understand anything, but... hey you're the admin. So I'll trust you. ^^
Liam Dawe Nov 21, 2016
Okay, so I've gone about a completely different way of doing it, and it should now be 100% solved all the time, no matter what.

Edit: Just rolled out the same fix for linking to forum posts.

Instead of maintaining a stupid manual counter that seems to break, when the script sees you want a specific post, it will now count all before it (including itself) in the article/forum topic to work out the page. That way, there can literally never be an error with it.
Nel Nov 21, 2016
Ouch so fast!! Everything seems ok now! Tks ^_^
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.