Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[done] A forum section for programming (Linux Games only)
Luke_Nukem Nov 21, 2016
I don't think there is any real dedicated forum anywhere for programming Linux games. Well not that I've seen in my travels so far.

Maybe a site dedicated to Gaming on Linux would be a good place to host one?

Perhaps the following structure might be suitable.
- Programming Linux Games
  - General
  - Graphics
  - Sound
  - Input/Output (controllers, filesystem)
  - Libraries (probably be a lot of cross-posts from the above 3)
  - Languages
Luke_Nukem Nov 22, 2016
I think making it specialized to Linux would have better potential. I realize that having it here would imply that it is targeted towards Linux, but clarifying that it actually is just for Linux would make things clearer and as you say, possibly attract others from other circles.
tuubi Nov 22, 2016
Game development surely? Why limit it to programming? There are all sorts of development-related tasks and subjects like asset creation and working with engines that people might need help with, or want to share their opinions/wisdom on. I also don't think there's much need for an elaborate structure for now.

Maybe call the forum Game development on Linux, split into Programming, Engines and Miscellaneous (for discussions on subjects like using Blender or Gimp to create graphical assets, audio, team recruitment etc.)?

I know there are at least a handful of people working on their own games among us and even more software developers interested in games, myself included, but I can't say if this could take off. In fact, it might be more useful to collect related info and links in the wiki and point to places like gamedev.net for questions and discussion. That's where the developers are and not all of them might be inclined to look for platform-specific forums around the web.
CleanWater Nov 22, 2016
Quoting: liamdawehttps://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/20

Great addition! It will help me (and many others I believe) a lot!!! :D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.