Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Anybody playing "Empires"? (Awesome free HL2 multiplayer mod - Native Linux Version released 13. August 2016) :)
Hi there,

just wanted to inform the community about the native GNU/Linux version of "Empires" (or "Empires mod" ) which was going completely unnoticed by me until a few days ago (read about it some time ago and liked the idea and the style, but it was Windows only at that time)... and ask fellow Linux gamers if they know it/already have tried it? :)

I really like it because of the gameplay and the cool and unique unit design, my new favorite game!
The best FPS+RTS mix so far imho (played and liked Nuclear Dawn also, but ND is missing vehicles and is less complex for example), when you take a little bit of time to get really into it, it's just sooo much fun. :)
It's free, so please give it a try!
(And don't let yourself be put off the first minutes by the complex gameplay or the graphics which are of course not 2017 big budget AAA comparable, 'Empires' is something very unique, special and simply a hidden gem for serious FPS gamers! ;-) )

Here's the official page (mod is still in active development):

http://www.empiresmod.com/

You can get "Empires" free simply on Steam for Linux. The community is small (as in many complex niche shooters), you should check when most gamers are online via Steam (as a german for example, playing Empires before 11:00 p.m. doesn't really make any sense, this game needs many players for really enjoying the big "commander maps" (which is really the heart of this game).

Game works well here with AMDGPU (non-Pro) driver, just some minimal/minor graphical glitches on some specific maps and 1 or 2 crashes to desktop (in about 18 hours playtime), performance is (of course) never an issue on a halfway modern/decent Linux gaming system (up to 200 FPS with "RX 480 8GB(OC) + [email protected](OC+UV) + 16GB DDR3@2133(OC)" OR always stable 60 FPS with vsync=on, graphic settings @maximum - so it should be playable with much older PCs even on full servers/in big battles).

Does any GOL user know this game or has already tried the GNU/Linux version? :)
I can only recommend it if a FPS/RTS mix sounds interesting to you!

Greetz
Master Sergeant Shooter Sergeant Master Shooter Person...

(Sorry if I sound a bit like a 'salesman' or something like that, I really just love this game and it's core gameplay ;) )
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.