Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Reinstall Ubuntu with current packages?
Guppy Jan 12, 2017
I find my self once again upgrading to a larger disc, from past experience I've leanred that cloning just leads to trouble unless you plan to remove the old disc and I want to keep the old one for storage. So I am just going to make a new install/boot mgr on the new disc and afterwards copy my /home/ folder over.

But isn't there an easy way to export the current package selection so that you can install them all in one go after?

I seem to recall that it possible but for all my searching all I've turned up is some fairly arcane bash-fu that messes with things that could easily screw up a system.

I know that properly wont work for external packages like chrome & atom.io, but I can manage to install a few packages by hand - it's just the constant work interruptions as you realize your missing a piece of software that I want to avoid.
Xpander Jan 12, 2017
cloning (dd) is fine but you need to merge the empty space of your bigger HDD after this.

rsync -av is also an option i have done it few times, even from a running system :)

edit: i keep upgrading my HDD's/SSD's once ever 2-3 years and i have done cloning or rsyncing many times without any issues, i dont like reinstalls.
Guppy Jan 12, 2017
Quoting: GuestAptik will do that for you.

Spot on! thanks.

Quoting: Xpandercloning (dd) is fine but you need to merge the empty space of your bigger HDD after this.

rsync -av is also an option i have done it few times, even from a running system :)

edit: i keep upgrading my HDD's/SSD's once ever 2-3 years and i have done cloning or rsyncing many times without any issues, i dont like reinstalls.

Trouble comes when you want to boot from the new drive - either you need to fiddle with grub and you fstab or you need to do mess with the UUID of the drives - neither of which I've had much luck with.

At the end of the day it's personal preference - I'd rather spend the time upfront reinstalling than afterwards trying to salvage a system I've screwed up so bad I wont boot ^^
Xpander Jan 12, 2017
hehe.. as you wish :D

its not hard to install grub again :) or when you clone the UUID will be same so it will work same way as your old HDD with all the boot sectors and things all there
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.