Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Mad Max: $5 on Bundle Stars for a few days
Aspiring_Champion Feb 11, 2017
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/mad-max

They don't list it as a Linux game, but I bought this and it certainly allows me to install in Linux.

Actually, I'm not sure what's up with Bundle Stars. I see a few games there that show as Linux compatible on Steam, but not there.
Liam Dawe Feb 11, 2017
As they only have Windows registered keys, Feral doesn't get paid from there.
MaCroX95 Feb 11, 2017
As Liam said, when buying from sites like Kinguin, G2A, Bundlestars they don't mark sales as linux ones so people who buy from there support Windows gaming instead of Linux because sales from there count as windows, eventhough Steam allows you to install the game on linux.
ysblokje Feb 11, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95As Liam said, when buying from sites like Kinguin, G2A, Bundlestars they don't mark sales as linux ones so people who buy from there support Windows gaming instead of Linux because sales from there count as windows, eventhough Steam allows you to install the game on linux.

I thinks it's a bit more complicated than that when it comes to Bundlestars. They clearly show them as being windows keys. So they aren't screwing anybody over.

But yeah feral won't see a penny of this sale.
neocron Feb 11, 2017
I'd start a discussion on Steam
wojtek88 Feb 11, 2017
I'm here with all the people that answered this thread - if you care about supporting Linux gaming consider buying it from different source (Feral store / directly from Steam / Humble store). Windows key is something that won't support Feral at all.

The other topic is that the way money for Steam keys is devided is one of the most important reasons why Linux market share is considered not as attractive as it might be. Very often Linux gamers are not aware, that even if they play on Linux, they don't support Linux gaming at all (they buy Windows key, and play it on Linux).

Personally I would love to see a change in this matter. The problem is that the only thing that can happen is to wait until product is activated and see on which platform it is played. But it would mean that porting company would receive money later - and that's the problem.
Aspiring_Champion Feb 12, 2017
Ah, I have been ignorant of these issues. I had assumed that ports were simply paid for by the original developer, not that the porting company was receiving a share of the revenue. I had figured that Steam would simply generate stats from what client downloaded and installed a game. Before reading this thread, I had never even considered there could be "Windows keys" for multi-platform games. Does that mean that Steam buys licenses for Mad Max and Civ VI, for example, from the porter and not the original developer? That sounds kind of odd to me. Has GOL written an article discussing these issues in a little more detail so I can better inform myself?

Thanks for the replies so far. They have been helpful.
wojtek88 Feb 12, 2017
Quoting: Aspiring_ChampionAh, I have been ignorant of these issues. I had assumed that ports were simply paid for by the original developer, not that the porting company was receiving a share of the revenue.
Unfortunately we don't have full insight to the financials. According to the discussions and interviews we had on this page, there were ports of the games that were done with this approach. As far as I remember one of the VP ports was covered financially with fixed money contract. As far as I know (I take my knowledge mainly from this page), Feral does not have such a deals now.

Quoting: Aspiring_ChampionBefore reading this thread, I had never even considered there could be "Windows keys" for multi-platform games. Does that mean that Steam buys licenses for Mad Max and Civ VI, for example, from the porter and not the original developer? That sounds kind of odd to me.
It's little bit more complicated I guess.
I understand it this way:
Steam receives keys from original publisher and those keys are not bound to platform. Then key is bought and activated on specific platform (for example on Linux). Then user plays 40 hours in first week, 30 hours on Linux, 10 on Windows. Steam calculates after a week, that this was a Linux purchase and informs original publisher. Steam takes his commision and original publisher divides the money with the porter according to the contract (it could be 100% of money left, could be less). The different situation is when you buy directly from store of the porter - for example from Feral Store. In such a case Feral receives almost whole piece of cake.

Quoting: Aspiring_ChampionHas GOL written an article discussing these issues in a little more detail so I can better inform myself?
I started to look for it, unfortunately didn't find it so far. Very often such a disussions are covered in comments. However I advise you to read at least Wiki page about stores. It is a good starting point for you I guess.

Quoting: Aspiring_ChampionThanks for the replies so far. They have been helpful.
Always a pleasure to have discussions that move Linux gaming and knowledge of Linux gamers forward.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.