Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Gaming on Raspberry Pi
dodrian Mar 8, 2017
I just acquired a Raspberry Pi 3 and installed Retropie for an emulator replacement of my old Gameboy and Nintendo systems which are sadly a bit past their prime.

I've been looking to install some native Linux games as well, but it seems that even though retro-style 2d graphics are popular in modern games, those games still want 2Ghz and 2GB+ RAM (Terraria, Stardew Valley, etc.)

So - what Native Linux games have you found to run well on lite hardware? (1.2Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, no dedicated GPU memory AFAIK)

Bonus points if they use a gamepad.
lucinos Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestThe Pi has an ARM processor so you won’t be able to run the very large majority of non open-source games.

exactly that.

so you have mainly emulators, open source games and browser games.
dodrian Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: GuestThe Pi has an ARM processor so you won’t be able to run the very large majority of non open-source games.

Yes of course, I should have realized that!

Though, there are a few games out there that are basically packaged .jars, I wonder if I could get some of them to work...
1xok Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: dodrian

Yes of course, I should have realized that!

Though, there are a few games out there that are basically packaged .jars, I wonder if I could get some of them to work...

Minecraft runs on the Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137279
s8as8a Mar 9, 2017
Perhaps Supertux ( http://supertux.github.io/ ) would be a good candidate for that hardware?
g000h Mar 9, 2017
Something you may not have realised, but the Raspberry Pi could be used as a Steam-link client (not exactly, but close to that - Moonlight). So you run Steam on your PC, and play the game on your Pi connected to your TV in the other room.

https://www.howtogeek.com/220969/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-steam-machine-with-moonlight/

People were doing it with Raspberry Pi 2 models, so the Pi 3 should run even better.

While blabbing about Steam-Link technology, I have been contemplating playing Windows games (on my old PC) and steam-linking to my main Linux PC, so I don't have to suffer coming out of Linux to do my gaming. Thinking to play Skyrim like that. Obviously I'd much prefer to play natively, and when a game is only out on Windows I avoid buying it unless I really really want it.

Note: I really, really want Witcher 3... but not cheap enough / not on Linux - so I'm still holding out.
dodrian Mar 10, 2017
Moonlight looks really cool, but unless I'm reading it wrong it needs to stream from a Windows computer, which I don't have.
damarrin Mar 10, 2017
Skyrim runs very well in Wine, no need for streaming.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.