You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
A3d requests and suggestions - All Feedback Welcome!
Liniverse Jun 29, 2017
I'm trying to develop a third person fighting game / first person shooter, working title "Arena 3D", and I'd appreciate it if people could tell me what they would like to see in it.

IMPORTANT!! I'm not asking for money. I want to be very upfront, and want to make sure it's clear that I'm not scamming anyone.

I want to develop solely for Linux (I'm using UE4). I haven’t registered a DBA yet, but I will before the year's out, and I'm hoping to release the game in early access next February.

New and updated information will be posted in here, hopefully daily.

I'll also have screenshots as soon as I figure out how to post them.
Screenshots!

Those transparent blue boxes were a weapon inventory system that I decided not to use, and haven't gotten rid of yet.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions in the comments below!
Ehvis Jun 30, 2017
A third person fighting game called "arena" is giving me visions of Gladiator. That could work as both a career and multiplayer game. Sound a bit like "For Honor" (from the few minutes I've seen of it). Getting the mechanics right won't be easy though.

Shooter sounds like an entirely different beast. I'm not to sure how you think you can combine the two.

Of course, asking what people would like to see is dangerous. If you actually listen to everybody, you'll probably end up with something boring. It's actually better for players to be surprised. People probably just want an exciting game with good mechanics.
Lakorta Jun 30, 2017
Could you name some similar games to the one you're making (gameplay-wise)? Just so I can get a better idea of what kind of game you're making :)
Liniverse Jun 30, 2017
I'm trying to solve the imbalance that ranged weapons introduce in a couple different ways:
By keeping the field of view down to 30° when aiming.
An option to select what classes of weapons to allow.

I can't develop for online or LAN multiplayer yet due to financial constraints that allow me to only have one computer. That means that splitscreen multiplayer is going to be a primary focus. How many people would have the requisite two gamepads? (It doesn’t work with just a gamepad and a keyboard.) I can build up the singleplayer as much as I want right now.

As to similar games, UT99 is what I'm kind of trying to model some of the map styles and game mechanics after. I'm not sure entirely on the hand to hand system. Right now it's pretty much just kicks and punches, but I'll be adding in some other stuff like reaps, blocks, and throws.

It's third person, unless you aim with a gun equipped, in which case it switches to an Over-The-Shoulder view that's almost a FPS.
Liniverse Jun 30, 2017
^edit^
Liniverse Jul 3, 2017
I'm putting updated information in the original post.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.