What distro and desktop do you use?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jan 22, 2013
Bit of a rant here...

I tend to desktop hop nearly every month but nothing i find i can seem to settle with.

Currently back on Unity at the moment, loved KDE but a recent kubuntu update stopped me being able to even get to a login screen so i gave up with kubuntu again.

Unity pains me from bad defaults (hiding the system tray...really?! i have to manually whitelist tray icons), the launcher being so rough still, like i cannot drag say a .php file over to my filezilla icon and have the app load up so i can drop it on to upload but i can do that on Cinnamon and KDE.

Empathy their default IM is also painful to use everytime i open it i get an error about being "offline"...well give me an option to go online as soon as i open the program then grrr!

The useless "web apps integration" which gives you a load buttons for g+, reddit etc which only work if your browser window is open to those pages which kinda makes them useless.

Not to mention Compiz + Open source nvidia drivers for latest gen nivida = crash....crash....crash...

I love Linux, but I miss the days of gnome 2, the desktop just worked and it wasn't slow as hell...maybe I should try MATE or just stick to Cinnamon on Ubuntu.
avarisclari Jan 22, 2013
I personally use LXDE. Just sayin.
Xpander Jan 22, 2013
Arch Linux x64 with Cinnamon Dekstop

i miss some good features that i had in MATE tho, but on the other hand its time to move to some more modern desktops, since some programs had some transparency issues with MATE due the lacking metacity fork.

overall i think MATE is still the best out there from the functionality point of view.
Xfce is clearly a second choice in that area imo.
Cinnamon is modern stuff, lacks some functionality and deeper configurations, but it seems to work fine otherwise.

i was long time gnome2/mate user. actually since ubuntu 6.10 when i switched to linux first time. then after that unity crap version of ubuntu i pointed my repos to linux mint and used it as my main until few days ago when i just switched to arch for systemd possibilities and other neat features. i still linked to my old /home partition which is been around since 2006 (i just hate formats)

unity and gnome3 (gnome-shell) are in my opinion the worst things happened with linux desktops.
while unity is somewhat more usable, gnome 3 is total zero. u have to extend it with lots of thirdparty extensions to make it somewhat usable.

thats my rant.
prolly many will jump in here to defend gnome3 now:D
i dont really care.. matter of choice and needs.
Liam Dawe Jan 22, 2013
I too have come to the conclusion that i despise gnome shell i agree it needs quite a few extensions and config edits to become actually useful.

What bugs me the most at the moment is the elementary os developers thinking they know best and removed the minimize button just like gnome shell, even though elementary has a bloody dock, you have to click on the icon in the dock to minimize...*sigh*, windows, os x, unity, cinnamon, lxde, xfce and kde all have some form of dock for a reason (with a minimize button), more users like minimize than don't. It's not just that sometimes you want to hide an app like say filezilla for example while you are uploading a lot you want to carry on but have it out the way...Coders thinking they know best really annoy me.

Linux Mint is probably one of the best things to happen to Linux since shell and unity came about. Not because of the distro but the desktop work they do for MATE and Cinnamon. I think I will be sticking to Cinnamon from now on. I love KDE but wow it's bloated and slow...and hellofa buggy no matter what distro i try it on.
Yulike Jan 23, 2013
I'm a Unity user and can't imagine changing. This is due to the ease of use, nothing compares to it according to my 8 year old nephew. It's not the most customisable DE, but it performs well for me and looks great. 

Side note; when logging in from any page it'll redirect you to the homepage. It would be good if it returned you to the page you was already on.
Hamish Jan 23, 2013
Fedora user for years and currently use Xfce as my main desktop.

While responding against other peoples subjective criticisms is pointless, I actually do like Gnome Shell and I do not get all the hate. I will respond to Liam's comment that "coders thinking they know best really annoy me" as this sounds like the usual garbage thrown about on Phoronix (and I am sorry Liam, but the way that statement is worded is garbage). Who exactly is supposed to ordain the direction of an interface if not the creators? Responding to feedback is one thing, but saying that the people actually behind a project should not have the leading role in it is nonsense. While you have obviously taken a lot of steps to accept user input on GoL (as should be commended) how would you feel if someone told you that you should not know what is best for your website? That is basically what you are saying with regards to these interfaces. You can complain all you want (that is perfectly valid), but please do not suggest that you have any authority to tell them not to do what they want with their own project please.

The reason I am on Xfce right now though is the fact that Gnome 3 does not work with Zaphod Heads primarily. I also do think that Xfce is actually better than Gnome 2 on several levels - the panel config in Xfce is far superior to Gnome 2 (where panel applets would never stay put and had to be manually clicked, dragged, and locked all the time rather than having a nice items editor) and it's internals are in far better shape. Main weak point is Thunar and xfdesktop, both of which have been somewhat fixed up either in 4.10 (where I have been told that desktop launchers should stop moving about on resolution changes) and in later development versions (where Thunar supposedly has been given tab support). All in all I will stand by saying Xfce is better than Gnome 2 and definitely has more of a future than MATE.

LXDE has also impressed me as it has improved by leaps and bounds within the past year. I got it setup on my mothers computer since it has quite old hardware in it and it has been working well, and minor annoyances are continuing to be fixed.

I can see why some people can like KDE but I just can't - I do not like how loose everything feels, despise it's panel, do not like how cliquey everything is, and find many KDE applications to be unstable and prone to regression (a little like WINE in that respect...)

You can vent all you want but please tone down the egos a bit everyone. 
MyGameCompany Jan 23, 2013
I used to use Kubuntu - that was about 6 years ago. I liked KDE. As a previous MS user, KDE felt very comfortable. But when they completely changed KDE, I bailed. Now I just use Ubuntu. Not crazy about Gnome, but I've gotten used to it.
Liam Dawe Jan 23, 2013
I guess sometimes i can be overly harsh but my points still stand and a lot of people agree with me.

They removed something that most other desktops have because it makes them easier to use for most people - it angers me so I make no apology for things I say about how they work. It's their project though so they can of course do what they want (just like i can with gol :P, i like to think I listen to users more than they do though...) but it just means they will lose users like they already have.

I may try XFCE if it really is much better than gnome 2 it may also fit my needs if Cinnamon doesn't work out.

Cinnamon is great though. Hoping the next update will continue the good trend which it seems it will with the additions I have seen so far.

Just a shame Unity doesn't work how I want as I love how it looks.
Hamish Jan 23, 2013
Hey, never said you could not be harsh, just that you should be fair. ;)

Certain things Gnome 2 does still do better (again, mostly concerns with Xfdesktop and Thunar) but with the 4.8 release I think Xfce really started getting things in shape and 4.10 looks like another great release. So I definitely see the future in it, and it does have very nice low footprint - not as low as LXDE of course but still quite nice.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu also seem to be reaching a quite nice pace of polish as well, if you would ever want to give one of them a whirl.
Liam Dawe Jan 23, 2013
Will bear that in mind then for the future :) .

Cinnamon seems to work pretty well for me right now though so at least until Ubuntu 13.04 I will stick with it.
spacelike Jan 24, 2013
I'm on Gentoo and Openbox
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.