Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Freesync?
Daifuco Jul 20, 2020
Hi. I am back to PC gaming, and I am impressed with the level that Linux is reaching for games, but It seems that freesync is still something not quite ready?

I have a 5700xt and a 4k screen (ouch) So I think I could benefit from freesync a lot.

so far... well xrandr says that vvr is 1.

and I created:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-variable-refresh.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier "AMD"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "DRI" "3"
    Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
EndSection
~            

When I go full screen on X4:Foundations... what it happens is that the screen start flickering from the very beginning, in the menu,... and in the settings "adaptive sync" is still grayed out.

My internet is very slow . I only have warhammer 40k gladius and that game does not flicker but it is so light in graphics that I dont think freesync would be noticeable, at all.

Do you have any success story with your distro? I would not mind to change if I manage to get Freesync to work. I already use Pop on my work laptop so am happy to try others.

Last edited by Daifuco on 20 July 2020 at 8:50 am UTC
Jared Jul 20, 2020
Have you tried using the latest kernel to see if that isn't an issue?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.