Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Axiom Verge 2
ExpandingMan Jan 10, 2022
This is (annoyingly) and epic games store game. Has anyone gotten this working?

EGS is still a pretty significant pain in the ass. I've tried it on both lutris and HeroicGameLauncher. Lutris EGS is still exteremely wonky, Heroic seems a little more polished, but I still can't get this game to launch. It definitely has .NET dependencies but even when (I think) I get those resolved in the prefix it flat out refuses to launch, without any informative messages in logs.
whizse Jan 11, 2022
I poked around with it a bit, but it bails when it doesn't find a speech synthesizer:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Speech.Internal.ObjectTokens.SAPICategories.DefaultDeviceOut()
   at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis..ctor(WeakReference speechSynthesizer)
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.get_VoiceSynthesizer()
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.SetOutputToNull()
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.SetOutputStream(Stream stream, SpeechAudioFormatInfo formatInfo, Boolean headerInfo, Boolean closeStreamOnExit)
   at OuterBeyond.THFMODAudio..ctor(ContentManager content)
   at OuterBeyond.THGame..ctor()
   at OuterBeyond.Program.RunGame()

Installing the required runtime (SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi) and voices makes no difference.

Probably better to hope for a native port in the future.
whizse Jan 11, 2022
Actually, turns out there's already a patchset to fix this issue:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51775

So you will need a recent-ish wine-staging unless you build it yourself. Possibly try Proton-GE?

Otherwise, from the bug report it seems to be an accessibility feature introduced in an update to the game
so if you can't get staging to work see if EGS allows you to install an earlier version of the game.
ExpandingMan Jan 11, 2022
Cool, thanks for looking into this! I will try Proton-GE, I might be able to coerce lutris into doing that but it's kind of a mess.

Otherwise, if I wait a bit hopefully improvements to both wine and lutris will make it less painful to resolve this.
ExpandingMan Jan 17, 2022
Seems like it's still not working on bleeding-edge wine (tried both GE rc6 and latest experimental).

Might be an unrelated issue
log4net:ERROR Exception while reading ConfigurationSettings. Check your .config file is well formed XML.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Configuration.AppSettingsSection' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: BCrypt.dll assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member:(null)
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Interop+BCrypt.BCryptGenRandom(intptr,byte*,int,int)
  at Interop.GetRandomBytes (System.Byte* buffer, System.Int32 length) [0x00000] in <bee01833bcad4475a5c84b3c3d7e0cd6>:0 
  at System.Guid.NewGuid () [0x00000] in <bee01833bcad4475a5c84b3c3d7e0cd6>:0 
  at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor..cctor () [0x00034] in <0c924620d2cd4b85a989ca168d44cf08>:0 
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Not sure what `bcrypt.dll` does, but it looking around online it seems like a fairly standard windows component, so not sure what's happening here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.