Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Unreal Engine Game making on Linux
zadoch Feb 6, 2022
Hi i am a entusiast about making games, about 3 years ago i changed all my platform from windoze to linux ubuntu, actually i am making games on ubuntu and complilling for windows and linux the same game, the idea of ​​this post is to get excited about using tools like unreal engine, blender, gimp to make games and compile for linux native, i think us the users must make the difference, if we begins to make this posible maybe the big gaming house will try to compile their main games on linux to.
PublicNuisance Feb 7, 2022
I would prefer developers start to look to FOSS engines such as Godot; Panda3D; etc but I guess Unreal is a better choice than Unity since it is at least open source.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 7 February 2022 at 3:48 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Feb 7, 2022
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI would prefer developers start to look to FOSS engines such as Godot; Panda3D; etc but I guess Unreal is a better choice than Unity since it is at least open source.

Visible source, but not really open.

I think we mean the same thing but use different wording. It's why I emphasized that it wasn't a FOSS engine. To me FOSS is not only having access to the source code but the freedom to use it; redistribute it; fork it; etc where open source is just being able to view the code.
whizse Feb 7, 2022
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI think we mean the same thing but use different wording. It's why I emphasized that it wasn't a FOSS engine. To me FOSS is not only having access to the source code but the freedom to use it; redistribute it; fork it; etc where open source is just being able to view the code.
There's actually a very clear definition on what constitutes Open Source:
https://opensource.org/docs/osd

(Also, FLOSS = Free Libre Open Source)
zadoch Feb 7, 2022
Ok maybe it's not 100% open source but at least you can see and compile the code of the engine and in my case make changes (yes i changed the code a little for some games reasons and compiled all the engine again), but remember i was using it on windoze, first, i passed form that OS to ubuntu and i think people (the idie game developers) can learn something of the transition, was not easy, i already used linux for only servers but never imagine the power of compiling graphics apps over it, and develop 3D content, is stuning the results achieved, i think that maybe someone could make a distro focused on 3D development with tootls like blender, unreal engine, gimp and so many others i dont remember right now, for me was a little hard but now i feel cant go back, regards .
damarrin Feb 8, 2022
Just being able to make a game fully on Linux without chewing through your desk in frustration is a viable and worthy goal in and of itself.

Making one using exclusively oss is a mountain I wouldn’t wish to climb just yet.

Last edited by damarrin on 8 February 2022 at 9:56 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.