Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Total War Warhammer 2 - Problems with both native and proton
Terrace Feb 11, 2022
I'm on my second day of running Linux (Pop_Os!) on a new PC I built for it and it's been great (Alderlake, DDR5, RTX 3080), had plenty of games running for hours so the system seems to be fine, but I can't seem to get Total War Warhammer 2 working.

If i use the native version that's from Feral Interactive the game refuses to use load workshop mods no matter what I tick on or off on the launcher it just loads the vanilla game and that isn't something i'm looking to play again.

If i try to use Proton or Proton GE the game fails to load in a whole variety of ways:
Loads nothing, Green Play button on steam becoming a blue running button but nothing happens
Loads the Launcher, but then after clicking to play it loads nothing
Loads the Launcher, but then after clicking play the process is there but the Linux Task Manager lists it as "zombie"
Loads the Launcher, then loads a black screen that i'm told is not responding, options are "wait" or "kill"
Loads the launcher, loads the splash screen (made by creative assembly with support from Logitech/Intel/Others) but then crash to desktop once it tries to load the main menu, Mango Hud lists frametime of 17,000 or something before it CTD's

One time I did get into the game, cant remember which version of proton, set some graphics options and then when i clicked benchmark from the options menu it crashed to the desktop. If I was on Windows and I was worried I'd set the graphics too high or a bad resolution or frame Hz I'd edit an .INI file to change the settings out of game Can you do this sort of thing on Linux using proton? if so where would I find this file?

After a few of these crashes and change proton version Denuvo actually bans you from authenticating for 24 hours for logging in on multiple "OS's" stopping you from launching the windows version, so brute force testing to find a version of proton that lets me in is finite per day unfortunately with the DRM banning me from a game I legitimately paid for.

I'd love some advice, preferably how to get the Feral Interactive version to load mods successfully as Denuvo just handed me another 24 hour ban for trying to narrow down a Proton Version that'll work for me, but help with the Windows version really appreciated, i just can't try any of it until my ban expires

As it's a new PC I built initially I had doubts that the system was stable but I have run:

Multiple hours Path Of Exile Proton 7.1 GE-2
Multiple hours Warframe Proton 7.1 GE-2
Multiple hours Dead Island Definitive Edition Proton 7.1 GE-2
30 Minutes Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Proton 7.1 GE-2 (Native had tearing and stuttering)
Multiple hours Slay the Spire Native
10 Minutes Half Life 2 Native
10 Minutes The Witcher 3 Proton Experimental
1 Hour Dota 2 Native

Edit: Nvidia Driver 510.47.03

Last edited by Terrace on 11 February 2022 at 6:59 pm UTC
14 Feb 12, 2022
The Windows type of files would be in your ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata path, or similar to that if you have multiple Steam library paths.

It's too bad you're having so much trouble. Looks like quite a few folks with Nvidia cards on protondb can run it well enough.
sith Feb 19, 2022
I'm also experiencing issues with this game. Native works in windowed mode, but tend to segfault after battles. Which is quite frustrating.

When I'm running on Proton, my biggest issue is that if I run the game on any other monitor (i.e. an external monitor) than my laptop's monitor, I get a black screen as soon as I click on something in-game. The game is running, but everything goes black as soon as there is some user input. If I alt-tab out and back again, I have a picture, but after any new user input, the black screen will reappear.

I also want an answer to the question in OP.

Distro:Ubuntu 21.10
Kernel:5.13.0-28-generic
RAM:8 GB
GPU Driver:NVIDIA 510.47.03
GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
CPU:Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.