Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Blazing Beaks
Pengling Feb 25, 2022
Blazing Beaks is a top-down rogue-lite twin-stick shooter featuring cute birds and dangerous artifacts, and it runs great under Proton with no fuss; I've been playing on a GPD Win Max 2021 (Intel version), but I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up Steam Deck Verified before too long. Its gameplay-loop reminds me a bit of Spelunky (another favourite of mine that runs perfectly under Proton).

You pick a gun-toting bird, each of which has a unique ability, and then deal with a fun risk/reward setup - to progress you need to collect loot from fallen enemies, but the items that you find have negative effects of varying severity, requiring you to shake up how you play in order to survive until you can offload them at the next shop, where you can then exchange them for items which grant various upgrades. You can also buy better weapons in the shops - or pay a lower price to gamble on a random one that might or might not fit the bill, or steal one but then be unable to get new weapons in the shop for the rest of that run. And on it goes.

Everything's got a lot of personality - the birds are cute and well-animated, the weapons are fun, and the enemies are bizarre (the hilarious-looking Fat Fly, which is literally an obese winged bomb that slightly resembles a Dopefish, being a particular standout, in my opinion), and the music adds to the overall weird atmosphere.

There's also a daily seed with online leaderboards, a challenge mode, local co-op, and a local multiplayer arena featuring various game-modes, but I haven't yet gotten the chance to try out the latter two (apparently it's two players for the main game, and four for the arena) - if they're as good as everything else, then I'm sure that they'll be a riot! My one and only gripe is that there's no online play, but given the value-for-money presented by the rest of the package, I consider this to only be a small complaint.

Anyone else a fan of this one?

Last edited by Pengling on 25 February 2022 at 11:36 pm UTC
g000h Feb 26, 2022
Yeah, I'm a fan. I've played it on Linux with Proton. (Noting I play with keyboard and mouse, not controller - my preference). I'd play more of it but frustrated by the bosses, and I've got other stuff to play.

You might want to check out Colt Canyon - very atmospheric Wild-West rogue-like shooter.
Pengling Feb 26, 2022
Quoting: g000h(Noting I play with keyboard and mouse, not controller - my preference).
I must admit, I didn't know that this was an option!

Quoting: g000hI'd play more of it but frustrated by the bosses,
The bosses definitely require some patience as you get further, I agree. It's so sweet when you finally knock them down, though!

Quoting: g000hYou might want to check out Colt Canyon - very atmospheric Wild-West rogue-like shooter.
Ooh, thanks for the tip - I'll look into it.

Last edited by Pengling on 26 February 2022 at 3:14 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.