Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Weekend Players' Club 5/17/2024
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL '94 (1993 EA Sports) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Hockey)
NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)
NHL 2002 (2001 EA Sports) – Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4600 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
My wife told me to stop singing "Im a believer" or she would leave me....... I thought she was kidding...... [Singing] But then I saw her face.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling May 17

My pick this weekend is DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken (or rather, that game in its 2019 fan-translated form, as "Do-Re-Mi Fantasy: Milon's Quest"), a very charming 1996 SNES platformer by Hudson Soft. My other half told me to try this one out decades ago, but I never got too far into it when I did, so it's time to put that right and do a proper playthrough now.

The game sees Milon, who debuted in the NES game Milon's Secret Castle, set out to rescue a fairy named Alis, who happens to be a friend of his, after she's kidnapped by a demon known as Amon. He also must restore music to his hometown, after a set of magical instruments were stolen and corrupted - also by Amon, who's clearly not a nice guy!

Since it was a Hudson Soft title, this game also has a (non-canonical) cameo from a few Bomberman characters - specifically, Bomberman, his brother Black Bomberman, and Dr. Mitsumori, who created Bomberman's siblings (but not Bomberman himself). To the best of my knowledge, this was Mitsumori's last appearance in a game.

The presentation is beautiful, with an anime-style intro, smoothly-animated in-game graphics with loads of charming details, and wonderful music by long-time Bomberman series composer Jun Chikuma. Since it never left Japan back in the day (probably a casualty of the Nintendo 64 not being too far away at the time) it's an oft-overlooked title that, from what I've played so far, deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Give it a look!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)

Risky Woods (Mega Drive)

Sonic CD (Mega CD)

Spanky's Quest (SNES)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

In other gaming-related news, my Placid Plastic Duck Simulator plush pre-order arrived with me this week, and he's lovely;

It was a nice surprise that Makeship sends their plushes out in a nice cotton drawstring bag, too!

Also, Licensing Expo 2024 is next week and I am beyond excited because Bomberman is on the 2024 brand-list!

Yes, yes, I know I'm the only person on GOL who keeps an eye on licensing shows, but humour me.

If you don't know what it is, and somehow haven't guessed from the name, Licensing Expo is one of the biggest events of the year for merchandise and other licensed happenings. Stuff turns up there months or years before release.

I always casually observe what goes on with it, but as you can see from the image above, I might just have a good reason to be extra-excited about this year's event, and even if it doesn't amount to anything in the short term, I just had to share.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOther Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

My goodness, there are some truly, uh, wonderful faces in your gallery this week!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
My wife told me to stop singing "Im a believer" or she would leave me....... I thought she was kidding...... [Singing] But then I saw her face.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Brilliant!

Last edited by Pengling on 17 May 2024 at 9:54 pm UTC
Quoting: Pengling
My pick this weekend is DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken
Looks a disgruntled Link in that screenshot..... And thats some angry wood too......

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.......... Also kangaroos arnt pink.......

Risky Woods (Mega Drive)
A game called "Risky Woods" and the trees look less angry and scary than in DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken........

Sonic CD (Mega CD)
Looks like Sonic is running to pilot the Mecha Sonic......

Spanky's Quest (SNES)
At first I thought that was Garfield....... But its just an orange looking monkey.........

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)
Ooooooooo I wonder what broke out of the container???........

Stumble Guys (Proton)
So which spec is you???.....

Quoting: PenglingIn other gaming-related news, my Placid Plastic Duck Simulator plush pre-order arrived with me this week, and he's lovely;

Anyone else finding it odd that theres a plastic duck plushie???.....

Yes, yes, I know I'm the only person on GOL who keeps an eye on licensing shows, but humour me.
Oh trust me I follow the licensing shows...... I have no choice...... You tell me about them every day.......

Quoting: PenglingI always casually observe what goes on with it
More like obsessively compulsively observe it every day....

Quoting: PenglingMy goodness, there are some truly, uh, wonderful faces in your gallery this week!
The 6th Gen really did have the best scary polygonal faces in gaming history....... And remember some one animated them to do that on purpose and another person approved it........

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHAHAHAHA! Brilliant!
I had a funny feeling you would like that one........
sourpuz May 19
Man, your posts are always great. I hardly know anything about console emulation, sadly. I wonder, could one of you share some tips and tricks or a tutorial?
Quoting: sourpuzMan, your posts are always great. I hardly know anything about console emulation, sadly. I wonder, could one of you share some tips and tricks or a tutorial?
G'Day mate..... Cheers for the comment......

Best way to help us help you would be to let us know what system(s) you want to emulate to start with...... 6th Gen (PS2,Xbox GC)??..... Or much older systems???.......

Best advice for now would be to start small...... Emulate 1 or 2 systems..... Learn the ropes and as your knowledge and kills expand you can expand your emulation library........

For example....... I started my emulation journey back in 2016 by emulating the NES and SNES on a Raspberry Pi 3B (After I failed to get my grubby hands on a NES Mini) and then expanded to the Master System and Mega Drive....... And so on...... And then left the Pi and moved to emulating all my games on the PC when I wanted to emulate more powerful systems......

So let us know where you want to start and im sure we can point you in the right direction.......
sourpuz May 19
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSo let us know where you want to start and im sure we can point you in the right direction.......

Good point, thanks for the reply!
I'm mostly interested in the PS1 and PS2, these tickle my nostalgia bone the most.
Quoting: sourpuzI'm mostly interested in the PS1 and PS2, these tickle my nostalgia bone the most.
I will keep this as simple as possible......

For PS1 I recommend an emulator called "DuckStation"....... A nice handy DuckStation Linux Tutorial can be found here........ DuckStation is a very popular PS1 emulator so there are plenty of resources online to look up to help you out that will explain things way better than I ever could.......

For PS2 I use and recommend an emulator called "PCSX2"...... And again there is a nice handy PCSX2 Linux Tutorial here.......... PCSX2 is the most popular PS2 emulator so again there are plenty of resources online to help you out.......

Both DuckStation and PCSX2 can be easily found in Flatpack form in your software/package manager (If you have Flatpack support)......... Or in Appimage form on github.......

You will need a PS1 and a PS2 BIOS for the emulators to work...... While I cant tell you where you can download them...... A DuckDuckGo/Google search will help you there...... And the same thing goes for the games.......

Hope this helps you get started on your emulation journey........
sourpuz May 20
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHope this helps you get started on your emulation journey........

Excellent, thank you very much!
whizse May 20
I think you can just buy used PS1/PS2 games and dump them to to disc images.

It was ages since I did it myself, but I don't think any special tools were needed?
Quoting: whizseI think you can just buy used PS1/PS2 games and dump them to to disc images.

It was ages since I did it myself, but I don't think any special tools were needed?
Yeah I didnt mention that cause I have no idea myself...... I would rather talk about things I do know...... Which I admit is not that much.......
sourpuz May 20
Quoting: whizseI think you can just buy used PS1/PS2 games and dump them to to disc images.

I do have quite a few of them lying around, that's one reason I would like to try emulation.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.