Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How to get my purchases to count at Linux
DaveA Sep 24, 2014
Hey guys,

I have been tinkering with Unix and Linux for about 20 years now. Scary. I was a stupid teen when I started and was adamant about not using Windows whatsoever. Probably about 10 years ago I gave up that fight. I simply couldn't get enough games on Linux.

With the support of Valve, I'm revisiting gaming on linux. I don't play too many gamest these days and I would be perfectly content just picking games to play that are available on linux. I'm in the processing of building a steam machine now, though at some point my primary computer will be switched over to Linux as well.

My initial question, particularly with Steam, is how do I get my purchases to COUNT as a Linux purchase? I would like to purchase some games now but that would have to be under my steam client in windows. I'm concerned that will go under a windows sale. You don't specify the platform you are buying for, right? At least with Steam? If that is the case, perhaps I'm better off waiting until the Steam machine is up and running?

Thanks.
sev Sep 25, 2014
Someone else may know a better way, but if you buy the game as a gift, and then "cash them in" on Linux (ie, enter the Steam key and download the actual binaries on Linux) then I would imagine that that would count as a Linux purchase.

Another option is to just grab a Linux distro (they're still Free!) and reboot temporarily into Linux. Install Steam. Purchase. Don't bother downloading yet, obviously.
Cimeryd Oct 4, 2014
As far as I know, the only way to make a Steam purchase count a game sale as a Linux sale, is to buy and play the game on Linux. There's no button to click where you chose what you want them to see, they register what you actually use.
Liam Dawe Oct 6, 2014
Buy a game using the Steam client on Linux, play it properly for a while 1-2 weeks on Linux and it will then get counted as a Linux sale.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.