You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 5/31/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)
NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
Vice: Project Doom (1991 Sammy) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Action

Vice: Project Doom…...

A very late and very ambitious NES game that isnt rubbish???…… Can it be???…..

The graphics….. They are really damn nice for a NES game…… The pixel art cutscenes are very much like Ninja Gaiden……. The levels are nice and varied enough…… sprites look really good too……. Speaking of sprites there is A LOT of sprite flicker in this game……

Its not bad enough to ruin the game for anything but it is noticeable even more so in the later levels where they throwing every enemy and the kitchen sink at you…….

The sounds……. Sounds are great……. Weapon sounds are ok…… But the music is where this thing really shines….. The music is great throughout the entire game and doesnt let up……

The controls……… Really really good……. Probably the best part of the game…… They are really tight and responsive (thats what she said)…… The controls are so that that you know that everytime you failed it was 100% your fault and not the games fault……

The storyline.…… April O’Neil has been kidnapped…….. Wrong game…….. The storyline is very strange but im sure thats because I dont have the manual and that is where a lot of the storyline is hiding…… A lot seems to happen off screen and the cut scenes dont do enough to fill you in…..

You meet a person youve never seen or is even mentioned before and its played off like a big deal……. Your partner turns out to be your lover again without any inkling they are lovers through most of the game……

The game ends on a sequel bait scene and of course there was never a sequel….. So who knows what happened…… It is a bit of a mess storyline wise…….

What the actual storyline is I have no idea…… If you want to play and enjoy the story you will need the manual or a wikipedia article…….

The gameplay…… This is where things get weird(er)……. This is a very ambitious game….. Along with the usual NES platforming sections….. This game also has top down driving sections and first person gallery shooter sections…… All three are pretty well done with the driving probably being the weakest of them……

While it does have other gameplay sections the platforming sections are the main game mode……. And they is excellent with fantastic controls, nice levels designs and great use of colours……..

The game does it very very hard in the later levels…… Almost unfairly hard….. So be prepared for that…...

Overall…… A almost forgotten game that is a pretty damn good game…….. Probably forgotten because it was released so late in the NES life cycle….. With its ambitious three game styles….. Its well worth a play through for anyone looking for a different

And that is why my final score for Vice: Project Doom is a nonsense storyline out of 10………

Vice: Project Doom…...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4700 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)

Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you call a group of men waiting in line for a haircut???........
A: A barbecue…..
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Linux_Rocks May 31
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation
Eww, Saturn or GTFO.
Pengling Jun 1
It's a revisit for me, this weekend: Specifically, to Neo Bomberman, the only Neo Geo MVS installment in the franchise, which is itself a spiritual-successor to the style of the first two Super Bomberman titles for the SNES.

It has nice, detailed in-game art...

... lovely-looking cutscenes...

... and some really weird bosses, in the same sort of style as those of the first Super Bomberman.

It's short-but-sweet, and not only instantly familiar to existing fans, but also a really good jumping-on point if you've never played a Bomberman game before - give it a look!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Blue's Journey (Neo Geo)

Bomberman Fantasy Race (PSX)

Doom II (Proton)

Onyanko Town (NES)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Sonic R (Saturn)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)
He looks like one of those creepy old dolls with the open-and-close eyes!

Sad Super Mario.

"I HAVE THE POWERRRRR!!!".

That is the scariest menu I've ever seen!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you call a group of men waiting in line for a haircut???........
A: A barbecue…..
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
I just want you to know that I facepalmed at this one. I did laugh, too, though.
Quoting: Linux_Rocks
Eww, Saturn or GTFO.
Nope...... The Saturn version was developed by a different studio (Realtime Associates) and is a much worse game...... Lower resolution graphics and choppier animations makes the gameplay a lot worse than the PS1 version which was developed by EA Canada........

Quoting: PenglingIt's a revisit for me, this weekend: Specifically, to Neo Bomberman, the only Neo Geo MVS installment in the franchise, which is itself a spiritual-successor to the style of the first two Super Bomberman titles for the SNES.
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!..........

Quoting: Pengling
... and some really weird bosses, in the same sort of style as those of the first Super Bomberman.
The 3D graphics look so real....

Blue's Journey (Neo Geo)
Ive never heard it called a "Leaf Dump" before........ I guess thats what vegetarians call it???......

Bomberman Fantasy Race (PSX)
GOT DAMMIT PENGLING x2........
Also Kangaroos dont belong in the snow.......

Doom II (Proton)
Ever get the feeling your being watched???.......

Onyanko Town (NES)
What is that??....... A town seen through the eyes of an acid trip???.......

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x3.........

Sonic R (Saturn)
I know its the wrong game but every time I see Sonic R I think of this song....

Stumble Guys (Proton)
ACME Labs???........ Are we going to see a Stumble Wile E. Coyote???........

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x4.....

Quoting: PenglingHe looks like one of those creepy old dolls with the open-and-close eyes!
Lol your right he does.......

Quoting: PenglingSad Super Mario.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........
The best part about that comment is that he is a Seattle Mariners player who were once owned by Nintendo.....

Quoting: Pengling"I HAVE THE POWERRRRR!!!".
Nyaaaaaaaaaaah

Quoting: PenglingThat is the scariest menu I've ever seen!
Yeah it certainly is...... Different.......

Quoting: PenglingI just want you to know that I facepalmed at this one. I did laugh, too, though.
HAHAHAHAHAHA..... Did you hurt your nose when you face palmed???.......
Eww, Saturn or GTFO.
Nope...... The Saturn version was developed by a different studio (Realtime Associates) and is a much worse game...... Lower resolution graphics and choppier animations makes the gameplay a lot worse than the PS1 version which was developed by EA Canada........
I don't know, I think it's just fine gameplay-wise. It's a typical EA game of that era. The seemingly different resolutions might also have to do with the how each renders their graphics too. Saturn using quads and sprites and the PSX using triangles and polygons.

This is also on top of western developers all the sudden being incompetent when it came to game development with assembly language that generation. Regardless of development libraries or not.
Eww, Saturn or GTFO.
I don't know, I think it's just fine gameplay-wise. It's a typical EA game of that era. The seemingly different resolutions might also have to do with the how each renders their graphics too. Saturn using quads and sprites and the PSX using triangles and polygons.

This is also on top of western developers all the sudden being incompetent when it came to game development with assembly language that generation. Regardless of development libraries or not.
You know, I was thinking about the rendering styles more, and the 3DO rendered graphics like the Saturn did. Which probably explains why the ports of 3DO games like The Need for Speed, Road Rash, etc, ended being much better on the Saturn over the PSX. Despite any incompetence getting in the way. lol
Pengling Jun 2
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!..........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe 3D graphics look so real....
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIve never heard it called a "Leaf Dump" before........ I guess thats what vegetarians call it???......
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOT DAMMIT PENGLING x2........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x3.........
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x4.....
x4!

There were a good lot of Bomberman games in the mix this week! I must highly recommend Saturn Bomberman, by the way - it's an excellent game, and very high up in my list of favourites.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAlso Kangaroos dont belong in the snow.......
Well, these ones are fine with it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderEver get the feeling your being watched???.......
That was exactly what I thought when I walked past it - then I had to step back a bit and take a picture 'cos it was just too cool not to. I love those little bits of visual storytelling in the first two Dooms (though I think that the first game is stronger on that front).

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat is that??....... A town seen through the eyes of an acid trip???.......
Onyanko Town is what could quite fairly be classed as probably the final "traditional" maze-chase game in the Pac-Man sort of mould. Unfortunately, though it's got a bunch of really good ideas for the genre, it's a bit half-baked and jankily-coded in places (and as you can see the graphics can be overly-detailed, and as you thankfully can't hear the music is terrible ), which undermines it. That's probably why any reviews you'll find are either Love It or Hate It with nothing in between. That said, the game has a worse reputation than it deserves, I think - its main crime is really just being unbalanced.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI know its the wrong game but every time I see Sonic R I think of this song....
And that music's better than it has any right being, haha! I prefer Sonic R's own soundtrack, though.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderACME Labs???........ Are we going to see a Stumble Wile E. Coyote???........
Nah, he's not part of the Looney Tunes crossover, oddly enough!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........
The best part about that comment is that he is a Seattle Mariners player who were once owned by Nintendo.....
I was laughing so much at the face that I didn't even notice the shirt!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Did you hurt your nose when you face palmed???.......
The nose knows that's a no.

Quoting: Linux_RocksYou know, I was thinking about the rendering styles more, and the 3DO rendered graphics like the Saturn did. Which probably explains why the ports of 3DO games like The Need for Speed, Road Rash, etc, ended being much better on the Saturn over the PSX. Despite any incompetence getting in the way. lol
Meanwhile, I was just admiring what a goddamn flex Sonic R's Radiant Emerald was, since the Saturn has that hardware-error that prevents transparencies from being done in hardware as designed. Travellers' Tales had to do that in software, and the whole damn stage is such a great showcase for getting that right instead of making things solid or dithering them, as so many devs did.
Quoting: Linux_RocksYou know, I was thinking about the rendering styles more, and the 3DO rendered graphics like the Saturn did. Which probably explains why the ports of 3DO games like The Need for Speed, Road Rash, etc, ended being much better on the Saturn over the PSX. Despite any incompetence getting in the way. lol
Meanwhile, I was just admiring what a goddamn flex Sonic R's Radiant Emerald was, since the Saturn has that hardware-error that prevents transparencies from being done in hardware as designed. Travellers' Tales had to do that in software, and the whole damn stage is such a great showcase for getting that right instead of making things solid or dithering them, as so many devs did.
Yeah, multiple ways of getting around any issues with transparencies were possible if you actually put the effort, time, and resources in. It's a damn shame it wasn't done more in any fashion.
Pengling Jun 2
Quoting: Linux_RocksYeah, multiple ways of getting around any issues with transparencies were possible if you actually put the effort, time, and resources in. It's a damn shame it wasn't done more in any fashion.
Yeah! I mean, I understand why it wasn't worth the investment for a lot of developers, especially when the Saturn waned in the West (as you know, and I only mention it for those who don't, it did far better in Japan). But that doesn't stop it from being a shame.

It was a genuine pain in the ass to work with, so I can kind of see why that daft myth that "it wasn't originally designed for 3D" manages to persist.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.