Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Weekend Players' Club 6/7/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)
NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007 (2007 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Cricket)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

2024 T20 Cricket World Cup…...

Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007……….

The 2024 T20 Cricket World Cup has started and its time to follow the tournament in virtual form again……. This time I will be using Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007 for the game to use……

Since there is no T20 tournament mode in the game I will just be playing 10 over exhibition games and either playing against Australias direct opponent for the closest I can find in the game…….

Also the only real names used in the game are that of Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara and Yuvraj Singh…… Every other player in the game has a fake name that is VERY close to real name with just a few letters changed…… For example…… Brett Lee is B. Leap…… Matthew Hayden is M. Hyder…… and Adam Gilchrist is E. Gilchurch…...

The hosts of the real T20 World Cup are the West Indies and USA…. There are no USA stadiums in the game so every game will be played in the West Indies…….

Bermuda vs Australia……….

Hello and welcome to the Crass Regional Australian Programming I am Murray Eastlake……. And today I will be bringing you all the action from Australias opening pool round match against Bermuda……

Australia has won the toss and elected to bat first……. Could be a good decision on this flat fast wicket……

And we get under way with the first ball of the innings…… The Bermuda bowler drops it a bit short AND ITS PUNISHED BY GILCHURCH WHO SMASHES IT STRAIGHT BACK OVER THE BOWLERS HEAD FOR SIX!!!…….. Oh what a start for Australia…….

The pressure continued to be mounted by Gilchurch and Hyder who are going on an absolute rampage……. Every Bermuda bowler has been smashed all over the ground……. It didnt take long for both men to put up 50 runs each……. At the half way mark is was already Australias game to lose…….

Hyder and Cilchurch said “Cop that” and they continued to belt the Bermuda bowlers all over the ground…… It this was a fight they would have thrown in the white towel by now…… The beating was getting so bad I was waiting for the Bermuda captain to pull off his jock strap and wave that to surrender……

After the 10 overs was up the Bermuda bowlers have copped possibly the worst beating ive ever seen in all my years of broadcasting……. And ive reported on more than a few Dick Trickle beatings in my years of sports broadcasting…… As both M. Hyder and E. Gilchurch notched their tons in style…..

Australia was sitting in the winning position ending the innings 0/227 with Bermuda needing to score 22.8 runs per over to win…… Not impossible but pretty damn close to it……..

C. Smethurst started well for Bermuda hitting 9 runs in the first over…. But that was where all the joy ended…… after scoring those first 9 runs Bermuda were looking to build on that…. But B. Leap had other ideas and took an early wicket to settle down the Australia team…… With N. Barker take 2 more in the 3rd over…… While B. Hugg took 2 more wickets in the 4th over…….

G. MacGrith who had conceded the most runs and took no wickets in the first over of the innings came back into the attack and took 2 wickets on the fourth and fifth ball of the over…….. MacGrith on a hat-trick comes steaming in from the long run up…….. he bowls his delivery…… AND ITS A BEAUTIFUL YORKER RIGHT ON THE TOES OF THE BATSMAN WHO CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND BALL CRASHES INTO MIDDLE STUMP…….. MacGRITH HAS TAKEN A SUPERB HAT-TRICK!!!……. OH WHAT A NIGHT THE AUSTRALIAN TEAM IS HAVING…….

B. Leap came back into the attack as well and cleaned up the Bermuda tail with ease as Australia ran away with an emphatic victory…… That will put every other team in the tournament on notice…….

Well there you have it folks…….. Another chapter has been entered into the great book of cricket……

Make sure to tune in next week to catch all the 2024 T20 World Cup action when we will feature a terrific double header as Australia vs England and then Kenya vs Australia……. Same CRAP time…….. Same CRAP network…….

This is Murray Eastlake reporting for the Crass Regional Australian Programming..... And until next time its goodbye from me….

Game Action…….

Match Result…….

Australias Batting Card…...

Bermudas Bowling Card…...

Bermudas Batting Card…….

Australias Bowling Card…...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4750 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)

Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007 (2007 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Cricket)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you call friends you like to eat with???........
A: Taste buds…..
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 7 June 2024 at 9:39 pm UTC
Pengling Jun 8
During the period from 1994 to 1997, Sega attempted to replace their mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, with something else entirely. Repeatedly. This was ill-advised. In spite a loud minority of gamers trying to claim otherwise at the time, the demand for mascot-character games was still enormous going into the 32-bit era (Super Mario 64 and the Crash Bandicoot trilogy alone proved that, never mind all the rest!), and not only did the lack of Sonic as a system-seller definitely hurt the Saturn (it's entirely possible he couldn't have saved it, but he definitely would've helped), but when the aforementioned loud minority were pandered to during the following console-generation, the entire games-market proceeded to immediately shrink!

Anyway, though Sega's efforts to replace their mascot harmed them in the end, it did still result in some interesting mascot-led games that easily could have co-existed with Sonic had they done things differently, and Clockwork Knight (Saturn) is one of them (others, off of the top of my head, included Astal, Bug!, Mr. Bones, NiGHTS, Ristar, and quite possibly some others that I'm forgetting), and is my pick for this week.

Clockwork Knight is a charming little game that uses a "toys coming to life" theme to frame its setting and story; Interestingly, though both its implementation of this classic fairytale trope and its visuals are a little like Toy Story (which is, of course, the most famous modern take on this type of tale), this game was actually released a year before that iconic film. It sees Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III (also known as just Pepperouchau or "Pepper"), a slightly clumsy clockwork toy-soldier who is a bit of a laughing-stock amongst the toys of Betsy's room, set out to rescue Chelsea, a pretty doll who lives in their owner's cuckoo-clock and sings a song that brings the toys to life at midnight every night - if she isn't rescued in time, then the toys will never live again after tonight!

As a Saturn launch-title, it's got more in common with the console-generation before it than with the later output of its own generation, and from what I've played so far, it reinforces my view that the Saturn was more like a successor to the SNES than the Nintendo 64 was - and that's a good thing, since it's one of the reasons that I like the console in the first place.

I had originally been a bit hesitant to try out Clockwork Knight, since I expected it to be clunkier than it actually is (the only real issue that I've experienced so far is that the intro cutscene is excessively overly-long - it would've been more charming had it been a little shorter, as then it wouldn't've come across as more of an FMV tech-demo than scene-setting), but so far it's making me glad that there's a sequel for me to try out at a later date.

In other gaming-related news, I finally got myself a nice starter TKL mechanical keyboard this week - something that's long-overdue! It has Outemu red switches, which are clones of Cherry MX reds, and they feel and sound like what I want out of a keyboard at this time. It's not a hot-swappable board, but I wouldn't expect that considering the (excellent) price.

I've already installed a few custom keycaps - namely, a Tux Super-key, red WASD keys with little arrows on the fronts, Pac-Man arrow-keys plus a ghost for the Fn key, and a literal space-bar - and I'm really happy with it.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Astal (Saturn)

Doom II (Proton)

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)

Saturn Bomberman Fight!! (Saturn)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHello and welcome to the Crass Regional Australian Programming I am Murray Eastlake……. And today I will be bringing you all the action from Australias opening pool round match against Bermuda……

Australia has won the toss and elected to bat first……. Could be a good decision on this flat fast wicket……

And we get under way with the first ball of the innings…… The Bermuda bowler drops it a bit short AND ITS PUNISHED BY GILCHURCH WHO SMASHES IT STRAIGHT BACK OVER THE BOWLERS HEAD FOR SIX!!!…….. Oh what a start for Australia…….

The pressure continued to be mounted by Gilchurch and Hyder who are going on an absolute rampage……. Every Bermuda bowler has been smashed all over the ground……. It didnt take long for both men to put up 50 runs each……. At the half way mark is was already Australias game to lose…….

Hyder and Cilchurch said “Cop that” and they continued to belt the Bermuda bowlers all over the ground…… It this was a fight they would have thrown in the white towel by now…… The beating was getting so bad I was waiting for the Bermuda captain to pull off his jock strap and wave that to surrender……

After the 10 overs was up the Bermuda bowlers have copped possibly the worst beating ive ever seen in all my years of broadcasting……. And ive reported on more than a few Dick Trickle beatings in my years of sports broadcasting…… As both M. Hyder and E. Gilchurch notched their tons in style…..

Australia was sitting in the winning position ending the innings 0/227 with Bermuda needing to score 22.8 runs per over to win…… Not impossible but pretty damn close to it……..

C. Smethurst started well for Bermuda hitting 9 runs in the first over…. But that was where all the joy ended…… after scoring those first 9 runs Bermuda were looking to build on that…. But B. Leap had other ideas and took an early wicket to settle down the Australia team…… With N. Barker take 2 more in the 3rd over…… While B. Hugg took 2 more wickets in the 4th over…….

G. MacGrith who had conceded the most runs and took no wickets in the first over of the innings came back into the attack and took 2 wickets on the fourth and fifth ball of the over…….. MacGrith on a hat-trick comes steaming in from the long run up…….. he bowls his delivery…… AND ITS A BEAUTIFUL YORKER RIGHT ON THE TOES OF THE BATSMAN WHO CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND BALL CRASHES INTO MIDDLE STUMP…….. MacGRITH HAS TAKEN A SUPERB HAT-TRICK!!!……. OH WHAT A NIGHT THE AUSTRALIAN TEAM IS HAVING…….

B. Leap came back into the attack as well and cleaned up the Bermuda tail with ease as Australia ran away with an emphatic victory…… That will put every other team in the tournament on notice…….

Well there you have it folks…….. Another chapter has been entered into the great book of cricket……

Make sure to tune in next week to catch all the 2024 T20 World Cup action when we will feature a terrific double header as Australia vs England and then Kenya vs Australia……. Same CRAP time…….. Same CRAP network…….

This is Murray Eastlake reporting for the Crass Regional Australian Programming..... And until next time its goodbye from me….
Yay! Murray's back! I'd love to see him do commentary for Bomberman matches at some point.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
He looks like an iffy 3D version of Bobby from King of the Hill.

These poor guys look ill!

AGH! Another scary menu!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you call friends you like to eat with???........
A: Taste buds…..
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
HAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited by Pengling on 8 June 2024 at 12:56 am UTC
Quoting: PenglingDuring the period from 1994 to 1997, Sega attempted to replace their mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, with something else entirely. Repeatedly. This was ill-advised. In spite a loud minority of gamers trying to claim otherwise at the time, the demand for mascot-character games was still enormous going into the 32-bit era (Super Mario 64 and the Crash Bandicoot trilogy alone proved that, never mind all the rest!), and not only did the lack of Sonic as a system-seller definitely hurt the Saturn (it's entirely possible he couldn't have saved it, but he definitely would've helped), but when the aforementioned loud minority were pandered to during the following console-generation, the entire games-market proceeded to immediately shrink!
They had their one and only real chance with Ristar but really dropped the ball on that one......

Quoting: Pengling
JEEEBUS!!!...... Those eyes!!!

In other gaming-related news, I finally got myself a nice starter TKL mechanical keyboard this week - something that's long-overdue! It has Outemu red switches, which are clones of Cherry MX reds, and they feel and sound like what I want out of a keyboard at this time. It's not a hot-swappable board, but I wouldn't expect that considering the (excellent) price.

I've already installed a few custom keycaps - namely, a Tux Super-key, red WASD keys with little arrows on the fronts, Pac-Man arrow-keys plus a ghost for the Fn key, and a literal space-bar - and I'm really happy with it.
Looks nice....... But I do question the authenticity of the photo....... I dont see any bomberman keycaps........

Astal (Saturn)
Looks like Knuckles if he joined a 80's hairband.......

Doom II (Proton)
Yeah Pengling...... Go play with those boring programs and avoid motion sickness.....

Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!......

Saturn Bomberman Fight!! (Saturn)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x2........

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)
Oh great Pengling...... Now drunk Pam is driving!.......

Stumble Guys (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENG..... Wait..... Thats not Bomberman....... Its just a game with bombs...... Carry on.......

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x3.......

Quoting: PenglingYay! Murray's back! I'd love to see him do commentary for Bomberman matches at some point.
Tune in next week for more Murray Eastlake........ Same CRAP time..... Same CRAP network......

Quoting: PenglingHe looks like an iffy 3D version of Bobby from King of the Hill.
DANG IT BOBBY!!!!.......

Quoting: PenglingThese poor guys look ill!
Its all the steroids they were taking.....

Quoting: PenglingAGH! Another scary menu!
Much scarier than real monsters......

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHAHAHA!
Glad you liked it......
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.