Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Maybe Rainbow si:x siege multiplayer on linux is possible
LoudTechie Jun 18
Following a conversation of a bunch of classmates I was looking for the problems of Tom Clancy's rainbow six: siege I was checking protondb and found an interesting comment suggesting that by providing the native BattlEye client in your wine prefix you can get it working fully.
I've not tested it(I don't even own the game), yet.
This native BattlEye client exists.
To me it sounds realistic.
What are your thoughts?

Edit
*BattlEye runtime

Last edited by LoudTechie on 18 June 2024 at 1:02 pm UTC
LoudTechie Jun 18
Something else I noticed.
There is currently no proper bugzilla for wine for Tom Clancy's rainbow six: siege and the most recent test is with wine 4.0

Last edited by LoudTechie on 18 June 2024 at 12:50 pm UTC
Quoting: LoudTechieTo me it sounds realistic.
What are your thoughts?
It sounds like it would get you banned. Ubisoft bans people for playing Siege in a virtual machine. Destiny 2 bans people who try to get the game to work through Wine.

Quoting: LoudTechieThere is currently no proper bugzilla for wine for Tom Clancy's rainbow six: siege and the most recent test is with wine 4.0
Because the game works great in Proton. It's just the multiplayer that Ubisoft won't enable.

Once again, the Vulkan port of Siege performs worse than DXVK's translation of DirectX to Vulkan. Whether it's Unity or Ubisoft, companies really struggle to write Vulkan instructions for Linux that are anywhere near as performant as DXVK. Is that praise or an indictment of all these companies? I really don't know.

If you really want to play Siege with just your friends, use a tunnel. A few Siege players set a Discord server up for it a while ago, though most of them are just playing XDefiant instead now, because they're sick of waiting.
LoudTechie Jun 18
Quoting: pleasereadthemanual
Quoting: LoudTechieTo me it sounds realistic.
What are your thoughts?
It sounds like it would get you banned. Ubisoft bans people for playing Siege in a virtual machine. Destiny 2 bans people who try to get the game to work through Wine.

Quoting: LoudTechieThere is currently no proper bugzilla for wine for Tom Clancy's rainbow six: siege and the most recent test is with wine 4.0
Because the game works great in Proton. It's just the multiplayer that Ubisoft won't enable.

Once again, the Vulkan port of Siege performs worse than DXVK's translation of DirectX to Vulkan. Whether it's Unity or Ubisoft, companies really struggle to write Vulkan instructions for Linux that are anywhere near as performant as DXVK. Is that praise or an indictment of all these companies? I really don't know.

If you really want to play Siege with just your friends, use a tunnel. A few Siege players set a Discord server up for it a while ago, though most of them are just playing XDefiant instead now, because they're sick of waiting.

Thnx, I didn't know that about the Discord.
I think you could be right about "can get you banned", since this is basically trying to get it working through Wine as with destiny 2.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.