Bad (perceived) frame pacing on AMDGPU when vsync is turned off inside games
Page: «4/5»
  Go to:
zastrix Jun 10
I'll check when it comes to Fedora oficially, maybe because it was the beta there was an issue or something. Thankfully I can limit the FPS in the game engine in the game where I mostly feel the Vsync latency so it's okay, just a pain in the butt because I know I didn't have this issue until recently.

Don't think it's a HW issue as using Vsync fixes the problem.
ridge Jun 10
Quoting: zastrixI'll check when it comes to Fedora oficially, maybe because it was the beta there was an issue or something. Thankfully I can limit the FPS in the game engine in the game where I mostly feel the Vsync latency so it's okay, just a pain in the butt because I know I didn't have this issue until recently.

Don't think it's a HW issue as using Vsync fixes the problem.

Just keep in mind, the frame pacing will be a lot better, but not 100% butter smooth. There will be very minor instances of judder, that is just the reality of pushing out as many frames as you can as fast as possible. When screen tearing with atomic modesetting is added to KWin, maybe it'll be even better.
Shmerl Jun 11
If you really worry about frame pacing and smoothness in general - forget about screen tearing. More importantly, avoid monitors with 60 Hz. You should get a better one. There is literally no point in buying 60 Hz one today, since any recent screen with better refresh rate shouldn't cost a lot more than 60 Hz one.

Last edited by Shmerl on 11 June 2024 at 4:09 am UTC
zastrix Jun 11
I mean yeah. My monitor is 75Hz and I do plan to get a high-refreshrate, VRR enabled one. Namely the AOC CU34G2X/BK. Only reason why I won't buy it now is because I'm going to a festival next month which would cost me ~1000 euros.

It's just that I know that on Fedora 39 // KDE 5.27 I didn't have this issue of occasional stutter so I'm just boggled about it.

Maybe it *was* stuttering and simply had a placebo because I didn't have THAT great hardware then. I have a 7900XTX now and generally do expect to have constant FPS w/ 1080p@75Hz.
Shmerl Jun 11
Stutters can actually happen in cases when game underloads the GPU due to GPU not sticking to high performance mode. I.e. ironically in some scenarios with a heavy loading game stutters are less likely to happen than with an average or low loading game.

There was some related amdgpu bug about it. One way to avoid that was to tell GPU to run in higher performance mode when you play such game (there are some perf profiles for that).

Last edited by Shmerl on 11 June 2024 at 3:49 pm UTC
zastrix Jun 11
Don't think it's that as I've tried to keep the GPU clock at around 2GHz. AFAIK it only affects the RX 6XXX GPU while I have a 7XXX GPU. Also the issue affects people regardless if vsync is used or not, for me when I use vsync I don't have issues.

Oh well, just gotta accept it until I get a VRR monitor.
zastrix Jun 11
Hm, trying to use `MAILBOX` Vsync didn't seem to help much. That's a vsync which is able to run at an uncapped framerite, still stuttering. Looks only specific Vsync's like FIFO fix the issue, weird.
Shmerl Jun 11
Mailbox is supposedly broken in Plasma 5, but should be fixed in Plasma 6?

See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56002 and related.
zastrix Jun 11
I do use Plasma 6 though, 6.0.5 but tested as well with 6.0.90. Also as I don't use adaptive sync (yet), don't think that specific bug should affect me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.